1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SJ Owner

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

Edit: You're right, my mistake. Here's what the admin panel shows:

[​IMG]

Note the "0 to disable". It's ambiguous whether that refers to disabling editing or the time limit on editing. I assumed that meant it completely disabled the ability to edit posts, but I was wrong--it disables the time limit.

Going forward this will be set to some value. I just checked, and Xenforo keeps a log of all post edits (https://xenforo.com/community/threads/post-edit-history-and-logging.46726/), so I don't mind setting it as high as 48 hours.

48 hours should be plenty of time for 99% of use cases, and if you need more than that, you can always contact a staff member.

Sounds like a bug in the forum software then.

When I took over the site, the admin panel was set at:
    1) "Time period allowed for editing posts?" : "0 minutes"
    2) "Users allowed to delete posts?" : "False"

I changed #1 to "5 minutes".

There's another bug that one of the moderators told me about--when a user receives some type of ban, sometimes the email notification has gone to a different user... all the more reason to switch forum software.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I have to say, the New SJ Owner thread is much more uplifting than the New SE in Oregon.

3. Since you're banning posts about masturbting to pics in the random images thread, are the Lena Dunham and teacher-student sex posts still cool?

4. Jeff

I don't know because I haven't seen those threads to know what the content of those posts look like.

If those threads are a fairly factual examination of things, then it's probably okay.

If it's a bunch of crude jokes, then I don't really want those here--this is a site about sports and journalism, not bathroom humor. Plenty of other jokes you can make here, and if you really want those particular jokes, there's lots of other sites on the internet that you can go to.

I likely won't have a chance to look at these in depth until next week--currently I'm focused on switching software plus migrating servers as well, so there's a lot of behind-the-scenes technical work that I'm doing.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

With all due respect, I am an editor. Removing my ability to edit is like telling a dog not to eat that bacon on the ground.

6. Jeff

I'm sure you're a solid editor, this has nothing to do with that.

Setting a time limit on editing minimizes:
    1) Spammers sneaking in a link in their posts once the thread dies down.
    2) Users mass-deleting their posts as a form of rage-quitting.

Both are very real problems with forums--that's why most other site owners that I know set their edit limits at 24 hours or less. While the post edit log records all changes, the mods and I don't normally review that log unless someone thinks there's an issue, so putting in a time limit just minimizes problems.

We'll try 48 hours, if the staff gets a lot of PM's asking for various posts to get edited, then I'll re-evaluate. It won't hurt anyone to give it a try.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Gallows humor was a huge part of what made this place great in the past.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Gallows humor and crude humor are not the same thing

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Now we're banning crude humor too? Jesus. What, did the site get bought by Disney?

Doc Holliday likes this.
  10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Don't take the Lord's name in vain!!! You'll get banned for heresy...or maybe witchcraft!

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I look forward to the next must-see thread following the Super Bowl:

Original poster: "Gentlemen, please confirm for me that you witnessed the New England Patriots football franchise defeat the Green Bay Packers football franchise in the National Football League's annual championship contest, held this evening."
    Reply: "I can confirm that I did indeed witness the New England Patriots football franchise defeat the Green Bay Packers football franchise in the National Football League's annual championship contest, held this evening."
    Original poster: "Ah. Jolly good. And what were your thoughts about this championship contest?"
    Reply: "I believe it was a remarkable display of sportsmanship and a thoroughly entertaining exhibition of athleticism. Do you agree"
    Original poster: "I agree."
    Reply: "Good. Then it's settled."
    Original poster: "Thank you for engaging me in conversation. Have a glorious night."
    Reply: "You as well."

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Jeff: The time limit for editing is NOT 48 hours. It's still five minutes. Twice today I've tired to go back into posts mere minutes after posting them to correct errors and was unable to do so.

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!!!

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/101566/

Draft saved Draft deleted