1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Re: Rolling Stone on rape at UVA

Well sure, you hope that.

Renda seems a little culpable to me, too, but I suspect the moralists will put it all on RS. But that's the responsibility RS has to take. The responsibility we all take. That's the business.

2. PW2

PW2 Member

http://jezebel.com/rolling-stone-partially-retracts-uva-story-over-discrep-1667329573

This is really, really bad. It means, of course, that when I dismissed Richard Bradley and Robby Soave's doubts about the story and called them "idiots" for picking apart Jackie's account, I was dead fucking wrong, and for that I sincerely apologize. It means that my conviction that Sabrina Rubin Erdely had fact-checked her story in ways that were not visible to the public was also wrong. It's bad, bad, bad all around.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I guess the odds of Jacking committing suicide just shot way up. Hopefully not, since she is sticking to her story. But still, very sad, and no thanks to RS either.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Props to PW2, whoever he/she may be, for nailing this from the get-go.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

As someone who's reading the original story for the first time today, a lot of it reads as complete bullshit. But this paragraph stands out:

What "friend" really believes a friend has just been brutally raped and worries that they'll never be invited to frat parties if the rape is reported?

And if the girl was raped, how does this Cindy come to the conclusion that Jackie's "reputation will be shot for the next four years."

And the two males are still concerned about joining frats when they've been exposed to a brutal rape of their friend having just occurred at a frat party?

Maybe it's hindsight being 20/20, but this shit just leaped off the screen at me. I can't imagine anyone thinking that way upon finding out their friend has just been raped.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This. Nobody won through RS' mistake.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The truth would shine through, but if it was me, it would be shining through me suing the shit out of reporter. I'd make it my life's work to destroy someone who did that to me.

8. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

stand strong, man. you know they are all guilty.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

How long before Rolling Stone completely washes the story from its website?

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Does Erdley work in magazines again, or does this end her career?

11. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

I believe al.com might have an opening.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There might be an opening for a UAB football beat writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted