1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bryan Burwell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Dead at 59 from cancer:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/obituaries/post-dispatch-sports-columnist-bryan-burwell-dies-at/article_39e52936-fb27-53a5-94d8-cbd265aa7ae1.html

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Wow. Cancer sucks.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kind of speaking of which, is Stu Scott doing well these days? I don't see him much on the tube.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Based on the immediate Twitter reaction, it doesn't sound like many people in the business knew Burwell was sick.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Steak, you are right. I just saw him a couple of weeks ago and he looked and appeared fine. He was Bryan. This guy opened many doors for journalists of color. He also opened doors for others. He didn't have an ego and would help anyone. He was a journalist and a great person. He will be missed. RIP to a colleague and friend.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Great guy. Met him through a co-worker early in my career and he was just a very kind person. He was at HBO at the time.

I approached him at a Rams game several years later and re-introduced myself and we had a nice, brief chat.

Very sad.

RIP

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I essentially sat next to Bryan for three years out at Rams Park and people saying he'd help younger guys are exactly right. Bryan was one of the good guys in this business. Crushed by this news and I can only imagine what his family and closest friends are feeling this morning.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

We're feeling pretty bummed out Ron.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I remember being excited that he was nice to me when I met him. I was probably a year out of school at the time and I was used to big shots in the business being rude or dismissive and he was as nice as anybody could have reasonsably expected.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I felt the same way when I met him. Sat next to him at a Final Four many years ago, to me he was a big star while I was a young hack just lucky to be there for a stringing gig. He treated me like an equal.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Only met Mr. Burwell once and the experience was like many of the tributes listed above.

RIP.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

THats so sad. My deepest sympathies to his friends and family. Horribly saddened

Draft saved Draft deleted