1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What schools did you reject, or who rejected you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 25, 2014.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Weird. Got into (and went to) Michigan. Did not get into Penn or Cornell.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Applied to 12. I couldn't wait to leave nearly 25 years ago.

Rejected by UNC-Chapel Hill, which I find hilarious given current headlines.

Got into 11, including Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Wash U, Oregon, SMU, TCU, Missouri, Illinois State (they offered an academic scholie), Arizona State, Hawaii and Wisconsin.

Went to Wisconsin. Wanted Vandy but couldn't make the money happen.

However, if I applied now with the grades I had then, I'd be lucky to get into half of them.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Applied to URI, Marist, Arizona and Florida.
    Accepted to URI and Arizona, weight-listed at Marist, denied at Floria.
    Wanted to go to Arizona to be warm and get away. Freaked out a bit about the cost of travel to and from school, plus tuition was higher than URI. Went there and it turned out all right - my closest friends are all college buddies.

Had a friend in high school who was Top 10 in the class and had strong SATs. He applied to a couple Ivys and private New England colleges. It wasn't who was going to take him but how many. He was declined by all of them. It was like February and all of us knew where we were going and here's a Top 10 kid who was looking at the local community college. He started looking at colleges with late or rolling admissions and applied anywhere he could. Ended up at Penn State and he loved it.

He was freaking out and Penn State had a rolling admission, so he applied and got in.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I got begging letters from several Ivy League schools along with a host of other major academic powers because of my test scores. Then they must have looked at my transcripts.

I ended up at a mid-level state school that was the only place I ever seriously considered attending.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I got a letter from Berkeley that was a rejection. But I remember some paragraph about a wait list or asking me to apply again. I can't remember exactly - I must have blocked it out.

Got into Maryland, BC, George Washington, American... and my beloved alma mater... which I love with every cell in my body... and I still wonder how or why they took me.

6. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Applied to only two — Central University of Iowa (now called Central College) and University of Iowa.
    I was accepted into both, but Iowa didn't let me know until about two weeks before I headed to Central.

7. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Rejected at cornell but have been to ithaca often.
    It's the best ivy experience for a normal joe.
    Football aside. Good athletic spirit.
    Great college town.

8. Applied at the following:

Florida
    LSU
    South Carolina
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Miami
    Tulane
    Texas
    Arizona State
    Oklahoma

Got into all and went to Florida. Wish I had applied to a few Ivys, but it would have been just to say I did it and got in.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I applied to the not so esteemed institution known as Grant MacEwan College in Edmonton. Only school I applied to. Because it was cheap and only 2 1/2 hours from home, plus it was just a diploma program. Well you can say I got my money's worth (I think it was about $9,000 for the two years combined for tuition and books). Program was so venerable that as the school recently turned into a full fledged university, apparently the journalism program disappeared and was folded into a communications degree. I will say this, I don't think my lack of a fancy degree from a big time J school has held me back in my career. While others were still spending many more thousands of dollars at a more impressive school, I was already in the work force, learning on the job and developing at an expedited rate, even if it was out in the boondocks. At pretty much every stop along the way I've worked with grads from Carleton and other top Canadian schools and they were no further along than me or better at the job.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I had a lot of friends who went to Cal (Berkeley) but they were initially rejected, but they reapplied for the winter semester and then were accepted. A few of them were even allowed to enroll for the fall, but could only take I think it was 12 credits, which is almost a full load. Pretty good deal if you ask me, to get into a school as good as Cal.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Accepted to Georgia, Indiana, Dayton and Missouri. Waitlisted to North Carolina and I can't remember if I got in later or not. I decided pretty quickly to go to Indiana.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I've heard North Carolina is one of those schools that is very hard to get into if you're from out of state. I was told the same thing about Michigan when I applied, I ignored it and didn't get in.

Draft saved Draft deleted