1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs coming at the OCR...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hey, it's their idea, not mine.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Employees: Deliver the Sunday paper, get a $150 Visa gift card.

http://jimromenesko.com/2014/11/14/orange-county-register-to-staff-deliver-sunday-papers-and-get-a-150-visa-gift-card/

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A second tipster writes: “OCR suggests 2 people deliver the papers, one driving and one throwing papers. That works out to $75 a person for 3-6 hours work, starting at 3 a.m. (plus gas and wear and tear on the vehicle).”

Story also notes that the gift card will be in addition to overtime. (Hi Baron!)

Sadly, that's a pretty good deal for most employees.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There are worse places to deliver newspapers.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One snowball-rolling-down-a-hill effect of shrinking subscriber bases is that it is getting harder to find people to deliver the papers as they make less money or have to drive a lot further to hit the same number of driveways. That is what will kill home delivery. No one willing to do it.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They've had delivery issues because they had fallen behind in paying the L.A. Times to deliver the OCR. Cancel if you wish, or give them some time during a period of adjustment, your choice.

7. Baron Scicluna

So for delivering more papers, you get less in proportion. Might as well do two mini routes and get $200 in cards for doing 400-600 papers instead of one full route for $150.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Mirman dings Kushner/Spitz while delivering a lump of coal to 100 or more:

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2014/12/oc_register_layoffs_mike_burns.php

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Most importantly, we commit to ourselves and our readers that we will continue to deliver the highest standard of local, regional and national news and information.

Strike one ...

It is very important to note today's restructuring will not impact the newsroom, and thus it will not impact readers or the overall quality of the newspapers. It is critical that we maintain the same standard of excellence in our journalism that our customers, advertisers and community have come to expect.

Strike two ...

I hope you will join me in adopting a collective sense of ownership as we serve the emerging needs of our readers, advertisers and community.

Strike three. Get the fuck out of here.

10. Baron Scicluna

You forgot this foul tip:

Going forward, success requires us to boldly rethink our priorities and our focus.

Haven't they been doing that for years, and failing?

Crissakes, just announce the layoffs, apologize for doing so, and move on. Cut out the rah-rah bullshit.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Fourth staff reduction of 2014. Not sure what the total number of departures is for the year, but there were a few dozen in January, upwards of 80 in June (including some high-profile columnists), another couple dozen in September and today's, which might be the biggest. Could be upwards of 250+ by the end of the year.

12. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Dear publisher spewing corporate happy-speak,

I sold my cow. You know the rest, right?

And no, "I want to place a classified" isn't it.

Draft saved Draft deleted