1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Playoff Rankings Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 27, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, perhaps the committee took a close look at some of those late-game calls that went Baylor's way that day. Baylor won, true, but the Bears got more than a little help from their friends the zebras.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If that's the case then this system is dead before its first year is over. You can't involve the fucking "Iff'in Game" in this process.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, the committee and the BCS would have had the same teams in the top 4 this week (albeit in slightly different order):

[​IMG]

https://twitter.com/BCSKnowHow/status/539935787567943681/photo/1

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

Could they be picking their best four teams and then seeding them to make the best matchups? As Steak wrote, Bama/FSU in New Orleans would be awesome and would be the best way to make the game available to most of their fans.

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

No way TCU loses to Iowa State. All the other things can happen. If fact, I expect Ohio State and Florida State to both lose.

6. Armchair_QB

Well, yeah, that's why I had TCU winning in my post.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If FSU beats GT, they will be 3-0 against ranked teams while TCU will end up 1-1. So based upon the supposed fluidity of these rankibgs, does FSU go to #3?

8. Armchair_QB

TCU would be 2-1 (W OU & KSU, L BU)

Baylor would be 3-0 (W OU, KSU & TCU)

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The committee would have spared itself much grief had it chosen to operate like the basketball tournament committee. Don't issue anything except your final selections. This way, they made themselves part of the "ifs, thens and buts" arguments they are supposed to help put an end to. If Baylor beats K-State by 40 (just an example, not a prediction), and they reverse themselves and put Baylor ahead of TCU, then they'll have to answer why they changed their minds. They have created a billion second guesses they could have avoided by just saying nothing until Sunday.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I said that before this thing started. You start ranking teams early than people start bitching about the seeding. One poll at the end, you don't have to worry about "contradicting" yourself. But I do wonder what people on the committee get - I have to think they receive some kind of "honorarium" for allowing ESPN a weekly program. If anything, do a "watch list" in alphabetical order where you list the teams under prime consideration and don't put numbers next to their names.
    ND's big loss shouldn't have caused more damage to FSU's SOS than the ACC sweeping the SEC last week. Perhaps a win over GT (and a TCU win over lowly ISU) would end up with another flip.

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I would hope that's not influencing their decision. If you're worried about selling tickets to Alabama-Florida St. (because of close proximity), then you're not going about it the right way.

Pick the four best teams, seed them properly and let the chips fall where they may. If that means Florida State is playing TCU in Arizona, so be it.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

In what universe do numbers 3-6 make any sense whatsoever?
    #3 in said poll gave up 61 points to #6 in the poll, yet they are ranked higher.
    #4 in said poll is undefeated.
    #5 in said poll lost AT HOME to a team that failed to score a touchdown to Wake Forest in 2 ot.
    #6 in said poll beat #3 head to head.

Draft saved Draft deleted