1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 1, 2010.

1. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Bit of a topic change, but does anyone else agree that Glenn and Maggie have absolutely no on-screen chemistry? Maybe it's bad writing or directing, but thinking back to his "proposal" and their reunion in the tunnel after the prison blowup, it was just a quick hug and kiss and then on with the show? I like them both as characters, but I never buy that they're in a relationship, except maybe when they're apart and searching for each other.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think part of it is they haven't had pretty much any time by themselves since Season 2. The episode where they're banging in the grocery store? That I could believe. Apart from that, it seems like they're too busy trying not to die to really care about each other. Kind of like when two people are married and so focused on work that they don't spend any time together.
    Still, that being said, apocalypse or not, if I were Glenn, I would have Maggie bent over taking the D each and every chance I got. Good lord is she hot.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That accent is killer, too.

4. schiezainc

Oh, the things I would do to her ...
    would likely be greatly exaggerated in my mind and ultimately lead to a disappointing time for her as I would be finished in about 12 seconds.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just caught up on the last two episodes and, whoa. Yep, four episode lull and strong finish into the mid-season finale.

Tyreese looks uncomfortable in every scene. I'm starting to sour on him. On the other hand, I find it interesting that the show was derided for it's lack of diversity with T-Dog as the lone black character, but it has come a long way from that. There are several strong black characters (one notably weak one), but they are all fairly "race-neutral," in that their color does not define them the way it did with T-Dog (his very name was actually a little insulting).

Part of the reason Rick Grimes and, similarly, Daryl Dixon, are so indispensable is they're the best actors on the show by far. Andrew Lincoln hits every note so perfectly, and he's really done a good job transitioning from a boy scout to a stone cold badass. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned something about Rick doing the things that Shane would have done. I still think Rick is on morally superior ground to Shane because he protects his group and does whatever it takes. Shane was willing to hurt his own group to "protect" it.

This is why I was surprised she didn't strike the killing blow on Dawn herself. I thought the whole buildup was that she is in fact strong, couldn't bear Noah's subjugation and would show her strength in her sacrifice. Stabbing Dawn in the shoulder was absurd. Also absurd, was how quickly Dawn shot her in the head. I thought everyone holstered their weapons. There was no time for her to draw that quickly.

On the subject of Beth's death, this was one of the few times we saw someone else step up and make the big kill instead of Rick (though, admittedly, Rick is the one who makes the conflicted kills. This was straight up, Dawn had to die). Good moment for Daryl.

This is the real reason Eugene's revelation was such a disappointment. A zombie movie can end with the undead still running the world because it's just a 2-hour investment, but I feel like this show needs to give the viewers some hope. We've connected with the characters and we want to know that, once the show ends, they're going to do more than just continue wandering around Atlanta fending off bad people and the undead.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When I read this, I saw this.

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I keep thinking they'll eventually get to a big, strange dome and it will be like something out of The Truman Show, with an entire community of suburbanites repopulating the planet one coupling at a time. Somehow the reanimated-dead problem has been solved or just faded away and the smiling yokels in the dome will look at Rick and his crew like, "What took y'all so long to get here?"

And I agree, Beth stabbing Dawn in the shoulder with her little scissors was absurd. In the neck or nowhere, girl.

8. schiezainc

I don't like the fact that they changed some of the basic principles of this show (I.E. Hallucinations showing dead people) but, all in all, I really enjoyed tonight's episode.
    I figured for sure (Dead character) was a goner at some point but was surprised he went out in such a, well, an uneventful way. No buildup, just gone.
    Thoughts?

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The whole point of this season was that I didn't have to listen to Beth sing anymore. So much for that.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I thought the hallucinations were well done. Loved the little flashbacks, too.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wasn't surprised by what schiez called a change in basic principles because I'd read an interview with comments from Andrew Lincoln saying they were doing some really interesting and different stuff this half season. FWIW, he also mentioned a much larger cast by the end of the season.

I actually liked how they took the newly-dead out. Let down your guard for a moment and you are gone, but the character still went out fighting.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did not like it.
    Something eventful happened, and I thought the direction ruined it.

Draft saved Draft deleted