1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ann Killion - classy lassy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big_Space, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yeah but that was before our rule of law existed. We were under British Common Law then

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Ronald Reagan.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

And you know that for a fact?

Two drunk 18-year-olds. Nothing bad ever happens.

4. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Kinda hard to libel somebody when you don't even mention him/her by name.

Unless somebody is arguing that Winston is absolutely, positively the only person on the FSU roster who has been involved in a sexual assault investigation.

Which I would find very, very difficult to believe.

5. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

did you read the State's Attorney report on the Winston accusation?

and you can type it, believe it and sing it in the shower - Jameis Winston is not a rapist. Hell, he's never even been charged with sexual assault.

but go ahead and muddy the waters and include all the heinous people you want into this discussion

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Heinous? Let's have a party, throw in Hitler, Stalin, maybe a few posters here. Should be a fun time. Is Dick Whitman returning?

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but still not the smartest thing to do.

It's not like it's not widely known that Jameis was accused of rape.

I wonder how long the list is of columnists/beat writers/broadcast people who have gotten in trouble over a tweet.

8. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I don't think you even know what you are arguing about anymore. By your logic, the Washington Post aided and abetted Cosby because it did not definitively label him a rapist in its 5,000 word takeout detailing old and new allegations against him on Sunday. Meanwhile, Killion valiantly confronted the problem of rape by (implicitly) asking her readers to take her word that James Winston is an actual rapist even though he had not been charged with that crime. If that's really what you believe, then there is no sense in going any further, because a mindset that warped is best left to play by itself.

And, again, I probably should not even engage your straw men, because then this will become a debate about the straw men, but I can't help myself: The men you list, almost without exception, are not analogous to Winston because they were hit with multiple complaints from multiple women over a long period of time, with much more evidence of a pattern of behavior consistent with someone befitting the label "rapist." And as your appeal to authority notes, the claims against many of these men were not tested in the court system because of statute of limitation issues, which could conceivably lay the foundation for an argument that we in the public sphere have the responsibility to decide whether these men are rapists. But you are comparing these men to an 18-year-old college student whose one allegation of rape was investigated by authorities, who declined to press charges. Your arguments simply aren't parallel.

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

See, here is why I think this is actually the biggest of deals. What is the difference between Ann Killion of the San Francisco Chronicle and YankeeFan of an internet message board? Why does Ann Killion have 16,400 followers on Twitter? Why do the words that Ann Killion writes about sports (supposedly) have more value than those sitting outside the press box? Because when Ann Killion enters words into the public sphere, they are implicitly backed by the track records of the San Francisco Chronicle and Ann Killion, journalist. The only reason for either of those entities to exist is the level of trust that the marketplace puts in the things that they publish. I don't think YankeeFan calling Jameis Winston a rapist is a big deal. I think it is dumb and unfair and not very well thought out, but at the end of the day, it isn't a big deal. When Ann Killion does it, it is, because the trust the public places in her words is the only argument she has for having a job doing what she does. So if something like this is not a big deal, then there really is not point to us having our jobs.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This question is kind of moot, what with there being NO editors anymore, but:

I left the business before social media blew up, but if I were still there, and this happened to someone under me, they'd get a very lengthy suspension, if not fired altogether.

I'd tell the person in no uncertain terms that he/she is not paid to make "jokes" or to be a "personality." Report the news. If you can't do that, then GTFO.

Tweeting is still putting information out for your customers' consumption. You insult them by doing shit like this, and you lose whatever shreds of credibility you may have had. After that, you're useless to me.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think social media has changed this considerably. A decade or so ago, it would be considered somewhat controversial to even imply that she was clearly rooting for Boston College over Florida State. These days, that's all long gone and these kind of comments are expected, which doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do.

I know a guy who logged two decades as one of the more respected beat writers in the business and now he's completely known for his jabs and potshots on Twitter. He hasn't called anyone a rapist, but 90 percent of his gameday tweets fall into the extreme snark category.

I'm sure there is someone out there who thinks this is great for Killion because she'll probably pick up followers as a result.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You've got to be a fanboi.

At least Dan Wetzel says there's not enough information to make a determination:

But, let's not pretend Winston was exonerated:

The fact that he's never been charged with rape has nothing to do with whether or not he is a rapist.

Bil Cosby has never been charged.

Draft saved Draft deleted