1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SE in Oregon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

You can't be a sports editor and leave at 2 p.m. Period.

2. disgruntledgrunt

disgruntledgrunt New Member

That's a page out of the Advance playbook, borne out of a sense of panic when metrics are overvalued and goals are overestimated. There's a managing producer at one of my old stops who I'm told relies on this act of desperation so often that people call him "Click Bait."
    I don't miss him.

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

He showed up for spring training wearing an Angels cap, with a credential. The beat writer took him aside and explained why it was inappropriate for a writer covering the Angels to wear an Angels cap on the job.

He didn't care. He did, however, champion the "fan beat." Because who wants to read about the players when you can read about your fellow fans?

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"Blazers lose to Clippers, but try really, really hard!"

5. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I can back everything that was written on this post. Sharon plays favorites, not only with reporters but with reporters who cover the teams that he likes. If your immediate supervisor is NOT Keith Sharon, or if you cover a team that he is not a fan of, you'd better update your resume.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

One word for Oregonian staffers:

Fragging.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Blazers season opener got the "news mob" treatment. My goodness. It's like one of those Orange Bowl halftime shows, a glorious mess. Stories on best places to drink during a Blazers game AND best bars to watch a Blazers game. I'm sure I missed the story about the sound check and the interview with the guy who watches over the players cars during the games.

8. Fran Curci

Really a shame that such a (potentially good job goes to someone like that. I wonder how he is getting along with Canzano.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To be fair, the Oregonian has been throwing a bunch of stuff onto the web before the new guy started, whether it was newsworthy or not - so not that much of a change. The sad thing is - there were probably some decent stories and angles in there, but because they get lost in the flotsam and jetsam, nobody will notice.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

So, Oregonian, how is your Keith Sharon experience going??

I'll answer this question from what I've heard through the rumor mill:
    Horribly and he will be gone by next week.

11. Fran Curci

Seriously?

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Tell me more. Does not sound good.

Draft saved Draft deleted