1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread 2014-15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Absurdity is what it takes to get desirable free agents to play in Toronto.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was thinking that maybe he'd had a few decent games at Fenway during Interleague and that the Sox thought 81 games worth of Fenway Panda would be awesome.

But he has never played a game at Fenway.

Still, heck of a left side with Panda and Cespedes.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Cespedes is the bait they're dangling for Hamels.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's assuming that Cespeda is a heck of a player.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And in Boston, Sandoval can become a full-time DH the last few years of his deal after Ortiz hangs it up (Ortiz's contract has team options for 2016 & 2017, but he'll be 41 then, so not sure he'll still be around).

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

As a Yankee fan, I'm very pleased by the Sandoval to Boston & Martin to Toronto news. About time someone else in the division started handing out the stupid, paralyzing contracts.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, the Red Sox already proved once there's no such thing as a paralyzing contract as long as the Dodgers are around to take it off their hands.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd be very curious to know how many free agents who sign big deals with new teams live up to their prior production. It could very well just be a case of the busts getting more attention, but it seems like players more often bust with new teams rather than maintain or increase their production.

I'm thinking of the guys who sign seven-year, $140 million-type deals with new teams. How many prove to be worth it?

Off the top of my head, Alex Rodriguez lived up to his production during his original 10-year deal (which I think he opted out of after six seasons). Manny Ramirez with the Red Sox. That's about all I've got without looking up numbers.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Let's see how Sandoval's heavy body ages.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Martin's deal is going to be a disaster.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'll always remember Billy Butler fondly, but methinks Billy Beane is out of his goddam gourd paying the price he did for Butler.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, but he's improved since then.

Draft saved Draft deleted