1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fla. St. beat writer resigns amid plagiarism charges.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 2, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Stop making sense. :D

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What you said. :)

3. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Bobby Bowden offered her a job as his house maid.

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Thirded. Agree totally.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I'm pretty sure that job was never posted, which is kinda strange given that there are a ton of really good writers who haven't made such an egregious mistake in their careers who would have tried to get that gig.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Greg Lee loves this hire!

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I already said this on here: I read her previously and her stuff was so cliche-ridden it made me ill.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This is what concerns me. AL is an Advance property and technically these jobs should be posted to the public even if there is a strong internal candidate. I know at our shop jobs are posted.

This isn't sour grapes for me. Senior SEC writer may be above my grade, but who knows... Maybe it would have been nice to get a chance... :)

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Not the first time this company has hired someone this year with a questionable background:

http://hellandhighwater-thebook.com/2014/03/12/katie-nichols1/

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

She had her chance and she blew it. Nobody here but you thinks she deserves another, so shut up about it.

What she did should get you blackballed from the profession. End of story.

11. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Same as it ever was.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Calling her a "young lady" over and over again while defending her is about the most condescending thing in this thread, Scoop returns.

As far as the issue goes, I stand with Meaty Pie. There are hundreds of prospective hires who have never made that kind of mistake. The opportunity cost of giving this plagiarist a second chance is not giving a qualified non-plagiarist that job. And that is bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted