1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fla. St. beat writer resigns amid plagiarism charges.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 2, 2014.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Most people in that situation end up starting over at some Podunk newspaper covering junior high basketball and working their ass off to regain their credibility, if they ever get hired again. That's their second chance, not getting some high-paying gig.
    I guess this is the new world order in our industry.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. I have a former co-worker who was caught doing this in a notes column and hasn't gotten a sniff from another paper in 15 years. Of course, the paper made an example of him while the two others who were caught doing similar things one got a few weeks off, but it was never announced why and the other was not disciplined because he threated to quit if he was.

It's a lovely system.

3. I'm all for second chances.

But if I were the hiring editor, I would research long and hard to make sure I was giving a second chance and not a third, fourth or fifth. I'd want to make sure I wasn't getting a Stephen Glass or a Jayson Blair.

Also, I don't know what "senior SEC writer" means, but the title alone is unnecessary. If I was hiring someone with that kind of baggage, I might suggest a six-month probationary period on a lesser beat with the understanding that, if all goes well, a promotion to a bigger beat would be forthcoming.

4. PW2

PW2 Member

Scoop Returns keep saying that she's really good, and so she deserves this second chance.

What is your proof of that? There can't be any college beat in the country that has had as much news over the last two years as FSU. Has she broken any of it?

5. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

PW2, hate to break the news to you but unfortunately people are no longer judged by the number of stories they break. It's how fast you type or aggregate that qualifies you as good or even a Bulldog!...LOL!

Seriously, read her. She is talented and will only get better. Give her a chance.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Safid Deen from the Miami Herald was named her replacement a couple weeks ago and started the job Saturday.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I always find it difficult to believe that when people are caught plagiarizing or fabricating a story that it's the first time they did it. Of course, unless you work at the NY Times or The New Republic, nobody is going to check. People are caught by accident and almost never by people at the paper where they work.

8. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, she only steals from the best.

9. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Recoveringjournalist,

Now that would be saying something nice. Good for you...lol!

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You know what they are judged by? Creating their own content and not stealing it from another reporter.

11. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

She made a big mistake.

There are plenty of Journalists seeking work who did not make such a mistake.

For me, there is no internal discussion. She plagiarized. That ends the hiring discussion, especially for a job which likely would have solid candidates.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Maybe Stephen Glass is the new head of the legal department at AL.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted