1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fla. St. beat writer resigns amid plagiarism charges.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 2, 2014.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

A classic case of falling up the stairs, or so it sounds.

2. disgruntledgrunt

disgruntledgrunt New Member

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

That's amazing. Sounds like a much better job than the Democrat. Unless she is not really on staff at Al.com?

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Lane Kiffin would be proud of the way this girl failed upward. Apparently this industry doesn't take plagiarism as seriously as it should, or as seriously as it once did.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Everybody is too cheap to hire a lawyer and sue now. Rather just let it quietly go away and everyone will forget it ever happened.

Pitiful she could land a better job that fast. Then again, it's probably some horseshit gig with a trumped up title that doesn't pay shit. I mean, seriously, how do we know she is actually better off? I doubt it.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They have to know. Right?

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I think some of the people on staff know.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How about the brass, the people who made the hire?

9. They would have to know. A simple Google search would bring it up. It made deadspin, she discussed it on her blog & social media. Her editor wrote an open letter addressing it and it's too small of an industry for the big wigs not to know. I have to assume they felt she could do a great job there. She'll have a lot of eyes on her so hopefully she does well with the second opportunity.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I suspect she's the kind of writer that they, uhhh ahem, didn't have too many of on staff previously.

And I suspect she's the kind of writer that if anything goes wrong, plenty of people in the food chain will be more than happy to dump her overboard in the blink of an eye, with lots of "I told you so's" and "what did you expect?"'s.

See, if they just hired a normal "person like that," they could run into some big PR problems when and if they decide to pull the plug on her. But this PARTICULAR writer is walking through the door on Double Secret Probation from day one.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

You also have to remember who hired her.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Giving her a "senior" title must do wonders for credibility and morale.

Draft saved Draft deleted