1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 11

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Nov 11, 2014.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'd say saying "He's better than Jimmy Clausen" is damning with faint praise. Not defending him to the bloody end.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that if they cut him before March, the Bears will save $16 million. It would also mean the Bears would have paid him $38 million for one season. If he's on the roster in March, another $10 million becomes guaranted.

I think the only way he's dealt is if he wants out of Chicago and he agrees to some kind of restructuring that allows him to be traded. Given who his agent is (Bus Cook) I put the chances of that happening at about zero.

It will be funny if he plays well Sunday against the Vikings.

One thing is clear, he has a much better agent than Dalton and Kaepernick.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I posted the well-argued piece a week ago. Not combing back over that ground.
    If somebody wants to be blind to the evidence then let them sit in the dark.

4. RecoveringJournalist

Assuming Cutler is around in Chicago next season, I think it's a safe bet he'll have either a veteran backup or a high draft pick backup QB and possibly both.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

Here is what I think RJ is talking about.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/10/bears-technically-arent-stuck-with-cutler/

6. amraeder

They have SOOOOOOOOOO many defensive issues....they should really focus their high draft picks on that end. Like say safety. Their safety play was hide-your-children bad vs GB.

7. amraeder

But that doesn't address the cap impact, unless I missed it. How much out-of-pocket money it costs them is secondary to the cap issue in determining if it's viable or not.

8. RecoveringJournalist

It's kind of a stupid article because it says, they're not stuck with him, but that would only be true if they were willing to pay him $38 million to take a walk. It's not happening.

The Bears are fucked.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a safe bet at all.

That's cap space and a draft pick that can't be used to fix one of the many other parts of the team that are in disarray.

You can't functionally pull back and rebuild in 2015 with the way the roster is set up. You don't really have a choice but to throw more good money after bad and try to reload again on aging free agents in the offseason for yet another probably futile run.

10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

That was so two pages ago....

11. amraeder

I could see McCown coming back. It's hard to see Tampa keeping him after this season, and Chicago would be a logical landing spot.

Add: And presumable he could come back pretty cheaply. I can't imagine fierce bidding wars.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

Gehrig, good we have you policing the thread... keep up the good work. We need people on that hill.
    I agree the Bears are screwed. Trying to think of a precedent for this, in terms of money and profile personnel.

Draft saved Draft deleted