1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Oscar Taveras

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Oct 26, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

So two drunk-driving deaths for the Cardinals in the last seven years.
    That's a bit different from "three inexplicable deaths for the star-crossed Cardinals since 2002."

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And a DUI for their manager in that span too.

3. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

If his BAC was .287 he was what most would call "blind drunk". Most people, in my opinion, would pass out at that level. Driving would be beyond hazardous.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Glad he got his DUI done and he didn't kill any innocents. Not trying to channel Dick Whitman but fuck this loser.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eh, there but for the grace of God go I.

I doubt I've driven at .28 (or ever even been at .28) but there were definitely some decisions in that area that I made at age 22 that I'd like to have back. No crashes and no DUIs, thankfully.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Other than his girlfriend you mean?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If she gets in the car with him when he's blowing a 0.28, its her own fault. Darwinism at work.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son did his masters research on BACs, effects, testing, etc. This is right in his wheelhouse. He knows his shit.
    He was stunned by this number because he said you can hardly function on any level at that number, let alone drive. How did he get to the car, get it started? Clearly he did and he was, as Gehrig noted, driving blind.

He says .05 is a very low limit, most people are fine at that level but some aren't so he's fine with it being the limit. He knew before he saw the numbers that it wasn't .08 because at .4 you're as good as dead.

Did they get drunk just the two of them and go for a ride? If not, someone had to notice he was significantly wasted.

As for the sympathy/tragedy part, I still feel awful for him, his family, his friends. Just because he did something horrifically stupid doesn't make his death less tragic.

Curious about the girlfriend's level.

Draft saved Draft deleted