1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we (BLEEEEEEEP) stop honoring the military now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Re: Can we fucking stop honoring the military now?

"Thank you for your service" has become the accepted, formulaic way to thank people who join the service and put their lives and personal safety on the line for all of us.

What would you have us say, "Thanks for risking having your ass, nuts, and miscellaneous bodily parts blown off for your country?". I get that it gets repetitive and that some say it in a knee-jerk manner. I also understand that there are a lot of us out here who had family members lay it on the line in the service, some of whom were killed or wounded. We respect those who are doing so now, and simply want to say so, and especially so on Veteran's Day.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Can we fucking stop honoring the military now?

I've started to thank The TSA for their service. They are under appreciated and really at the front line of keeping us safe.

They are puzzled at first but then say thank you.

I also find that it's a good way to diffuse my anger after standing in a lengthy security line.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

TSA has made more terrorists than they've prevented.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Old guys with multiple deferments believe that too.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He'd be the kind of guy who'd hand the ball back to the ref after a touchdown. Not the type to do a td dance/celebration.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I totally respect that. As a military brat, I always love it when people approach the guys in the uniform to thank them for their service.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Yeah, people like Kyle Carpenter should not be honored.

http://www.wltx.com/story/news/local/2014/06/19/medal-of-honor-kyle-carpenter/10821049/

Fuck them.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I am one who gets very uncomfortable at the increased military involvement with high school sports, the trend of playing "God Bless America" at any opportunity and military worship in general, but this is even a bit callous for me.

They have a day. I think that's OK.

That being said, I know plenty of idiots who joined the military, not for noble service, but because they had no other options. Hard for me to salute them.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's nice of you to think that a day honoring veterans is ok.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I get why they play "God Bless America" in New York, because they started doing it after 9/11 and it became one of those traditions where, if they stopped, there would be backlash.

I don't get why the rest of the country, except for Washington and maybe the western Pennsylvania area still need to do so except to show off. Unless they've been doing it since 9/11 and it's become their own tradition.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I was being sarcastic.

12. Bullshit.
    He got the CMOH.
    Now he expects to eat free at Golden Corral? Fuck that guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted