1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santa... and your kids...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RecoveringJournalist, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My mistake. Runs on Christmas Eve, which of course makes more sense.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My oldest, nearly 10, is a very logical, factual child. He loves science. Around age 5 he said, "Reindeer don't fly." I thought, there is no way we're going to keep this going with him. But he has not stopped believing. Maybe he knows, I wouldn't doubt it if he did, and he partially keeps quiet for his younger brothers, but he hasn't let on to us. Just a few weeks ago he brought up Santa and I thought, here we go.

He also had a friend in kindergarten who blurted out to the whole class that Santa wasn't real and that his parents told him that. I was in class volunteering that day and it almost started a riot. But all the other kids put an end to that rumor and that was that. My other two kids are 7 and 3. The 7-year-old has made comments about the Santas at different stores, events, etc., but approaches them like they are fill ins.

All that said, I am just kind of letting them take care of it. As long as they still believe or at least the magic in it, why bother swaying them one way or the other. If they start to question I don't think I'd try to put them back in the he's real category. But as long as one of their brothers still believes I think I would have a talk about the spirit of it all and to make sure they don't ruin it for the others.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Sure, blame the Jews. ;D

My friend's otherwise normal, socially-adjusted kids - 12 and 14 (!) still believe in Santa. The older boy is in high school! They're not huge church-goers and the kids go to public school, have lots of friends, etc. I am flabbergasted.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

HOW ABOUT A SPOILER ALERT, ASSHOLE?!

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think kids continue to believe because they don't want to crush their helicopter moms' spirits.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Think about 10 or 11 is the right age. 7 or 8 is just too young for the innocence bubble to be burst.

And the 14 year old above has to be auditioning for a career in acting. Otherwise, he's either a) at one of the kindest, gentlest public schools in the country or b) is comfortable being stuffed into lockers on a consistent basis.

All that aside, Moddy said it best earlier in the thread.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My oldest, now almost 21, was about 12 or 13 when she stumbled across some stuff we had squirreled away. I am certain she didn't really believe, but her finding that stuff punctured the fiction she was struggling to maintain. She was in tears, so this is essentially what I told her:

"Believing in Santa Claus requires some effort on your part. It might require you to not notice some things here and there, but so long as you want to put in that effort, your mother and I are game."

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Meanwhile the New York Times centerpiece is on how two kids in Wisconsin believe Santa is real and since their parents happen to trick them each year the national trend is that belief in Santa is making a comeback.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

FUCK!!

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I have a co-worker who's soon to be 11-year-old in 5th grade still believes. It's time to grow up. No child above 2nd grade or 8 years of age should believe in fairy tales.

The whole fairy tales thing should be stopped. You want to know what one of the problems with the Snowflake generation is? Many were spoiled rotten and given way too many gifts by Santa. They believed in Santa and magic for way too long. And they still believe that their special and that there's magic in the world.

I've got an idea. Instead of throwing out money on useless toys that will get pitched in five years, go donate time at a soup kitchen and feed the homeless on Christmas. Then teach your children about how whole continents on this planet barely have enough food to survive.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You sound like you'd be a fun dad.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah that's definitely something new and hasn't been a thing for the last couple hundred years. In 1897 the New York Sun should have written "Virginia, it's time you face the facts. There is no Santa Claus. And if you ever get pregnant, that isn't the stork, that's because you're a godless whore."

I don't know how those boys fought two world wars after getting softened up by Santa.

Draft saved Draft deleted