1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant/Deputy Sports Editor, Richmond Times-Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Szvetitz, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

The Richmond Times-Dispatch is looking to hire an assistant/deputy sports editor.

This is a crucial position we're looking to fill and I'm excited about the opportunity. The job description is below, but the ASE will be asked to do a lot of everything. (Not to mention put up with me.)

Please apply at the link below, as well as email a cover letter and resume to mszvetitz@timesdispatch.com. Feel free to PM or email with questions.

I'll post more details and/or updates as I get them.

Thanks,
    MIKE

Job Description

The Richmond Times-Dispatch is seeking a Deputy Sports Editor. The ideal candidate is one who will be able to help lead the RTD sports department across all platforms with a focus on nightly production of the print product and website, as well as the coordination of the copy desk and its designers. The candidate also must be able to work with writers/reporters and handle late and breaking news.

JOB DUTIES of the Deputy Sports Editor will include:

Oversee six-person copy desk, making and managing schedules for sports desk team

Editing and designing sports copy and pages

Posting and maintaining stories and late, breaking news to the website

Coordinating copy with reporters and desk team for best placement of stories in sports section

Ability to manage sports department in absence of sports editor

Coordinating the production of special sections

REQUIREMENTS: Education, Knowledge & Experience:

Bachelor’s degree

At least five years at a daily paper with at least two years of editing/design experience (minimum)

At least 10 years at a daily paper with at least five years of management experience, including design, editing and web work (preferred)

Command of AP style and exceptional knowledge of all sports and rules

Strong management skills and ability to communicate effectively with employees at all levels

Ability to make decisions in a fast-paced news/sports environment and make deadlines

Computer skills required: Windows OS, Microsoft Office, Content Management Systems

https://bhmedia.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&id=23&jobid=3455&company_id=16186&version=1&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=993635&level=levelid1&levelid1=2750&parent=News&startflag=2

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Still operating with a central editing/design desk or is the desk based in Richmond again?

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

In-house.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the ad seemed to indicate that. Worked on the CEC many moons ago. To say it was not fun would be an understatement. A different challenge was good, but man, what a pain in the ass.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Mike's a good dude. Sucks as a golf partner, though. Doesn't have a clue where the ball is going, can't putt for shit. Hell, he can barely make his tee time.

6. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

All true ...

7. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I don't understand these archaic terms. "Editing?" "Design?"

Who coaches your content?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

A hire has been made.

Draft saved Draft deleted