1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New opening in Dodge City

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RBluhm, Nov 3, 2014.

1. RBluhm

RBluhm New Member

The Dodge City Daily Globe is looking for a general news reporter who, if given a choice and time, might also get to help cover sports. The Daily Globe is a five-day-a-week Gatehouse newspaper in Dodge City, Kansas. There's a ton of western history, a fabulous rodeo every summer and tons of news to cover. Send resume to publisher Conrad Easterday at ceasterday@dodgeglobe.com and myself, editor Roger Bluhm at rbluhm@dodgeglobe.com. PM me for details if needed.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

"get to help cover sports"

Because as we all know, covering sports isn't real work.

3. RBluhm

RBluhm New Member

Interesting. I've been in journalism for more than 28 years, almost 14 as a sports editor or sports reporter. Yet, I have someone who wants to belittle my post? The reasoning is I would love to supplement the sports coverage at my newspaper and expand circulation through sports coverage. But hey, much easier to take offense to a comment than ask someone what it means or why it was phrased that way. With the difficulties we journalist face on a daily basis, it makes no sense to attack one other when all I'm doing is trying to hire someone.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Have read enough of these posts and spent enough time in newspapers to know that such phrasing generally betrays a dismissive attitude for working in sports, or at the very least suggests that the lucky winner will be asked to do far more than he or she is being paid for. Phrasings like that are redolent of the tendency prevalent among newspaper managers to appeal to reporters' ingrained sense that journalism is some kind of higher calling that justifies making personal sacrifices for some no longer extant greater good.

I acknowledge the same realities you do. Doesn't mean I have to like them.

5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And there's a fabulous rodeo every summer!

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In '03 there was a cool little eatery on the west side of town that was ALL decked out in Kansas State memorabilia.

Cool library too as well as Ma and Pa's Pool Hall along the wooden boardwalk.

8. RBluhm

RBluhm New Member

I prefer news reporters who have experience in sports. They are better deadline writers, can see the lead quickly and tend to be better writers overall, in my opinion. Often, those who started in sports like to keep their hand in it. I still cover sports as ME because I enjoy it and want to expand circulation to outlying areas with better sports coverage. If my original post offended anyone, it was not my intent. After reading the replies, it appears I did. Bad thing is, I just want to make my newspaper better and hire a good reporter, something I've found on this site for previous openings at other locations.

Sorry again.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

You go, Roger! Best of luck. And please delete the dang apology. No need for it.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

On a somewhat related note, wonder where the member here is that posts mostly nothing but negative opines on reporting jobs in Kansas? A few months ago I got a pm from the individual calling me a "lil b."

Back at ya, pal, where ever you are.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Got a name?

Initials, perhaps?

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I went and looked it up, Harley. Sports Guy. With a handle like that, I'd have thought the dude would have a 20,000 post count. Not a total rotten apple but the negativity rubbed me the wrong way.

Draft saved Draft deleted