1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread 2014-15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Gold Gloves announced:

AL P: Dallas Keuchel
    AL C: Salvador Perez
    AL 1B: Eric Hosmer
    AL 2B: Dustin Pedroia
    AL 3B: Kyle Seager
    AL SS: J.J. Hardy
    AL LF: Alex Gordon
    AL CF: Adam Jones
    AL RF: Nick Markakis

NL P: Zack Greinke
    NL C: Yadier Molina
    NL 1B: Adrian Gonzalez
    NL 2B: D.J. LaMahieu
    NL 3B: Nolan Arenado
    NL SS: Andrelton Simmons
    NL LF: Christian Yelich
    NL CF: Juan Legares
    NL RF: Jason Heyward

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

To show how big a joke the Gold Glove is, the Royals' best defensive player wasn't even a finalist. Also, Jeter.

3. Steak Snabler

Do you mean Cain? I wonder if his even playing-time split between RF & CF was a factor in that.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Yeah, Cain. I'm confident he's the best outfielder in the American League. There's no doubt the fact he splits between RF and CF works against him.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Trout's not a GG?

6. Steak Snabler

I don't watch enough AL baseball to get a read on that, but this is Jones' fourth Gold Glove, so it seems he at least has the reputation as a great fielder.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

At least sabermetrically -- which was a big part of putting the finalist lists together -- Trout has been average or worse for the last couple of years.

8. Steak Snabler

I do like the fact that they've begun awarding the outfield Gold Gloves by position, instead of just 3 OFs like it's a fantasy baseball team. More often than not, you'd have at least 2 CFs in there.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'd complain about using made up statistics that even the statheads admit don't properly measure what they are designed to measure, but Gold Gloves were already a joke, so no damage done.

10. Steak Snabler

Alfonso Soriano says he's retiring:

espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/11823539/alfonso-soriano-says-retiring-baseball-lost-love-passion-play

Never thought a guy with his (lack of) plate discipline would hang around as long as he did, but he had a great career: 412 homers and a career slugging percentage of exactly .500 (actually .49987, but what's one decimal point among friends?)

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I love Soriano. The guy was fun to watch in pinstripes. When the Yankees traded him for A-Rod, I hated to see him go. I understood it was a move the Yankees had to make, acquiring the best player of his generation, but there was something about Soriano that was so much more fun to watch.

My favorite part of watching him play was the way he coiled up before swinging that heavy bat.

12. Steak Snabler

This may be "dog bites man" at this point, but A-Rod admitted to the DEA he bought and used steroids from Biogenesis:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/article3578762.html

So more for MLB's "witch hunt."

Draft saved Draft deleted