1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I've seen that, and boy do I disagree. That ball didn't get to Aoki all that quickly and not on a line. And for as fat as he is, Sandoval isn't that slow.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As long as we're second guessing, giving Aoki repeated ABs when Willingham crushes lefties was annoying.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hey, I first-guessed the Gordon fly ball play. It's on my Timeline, within seconds.

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

This play with Gordon is reminiscent of game 7 of the 1962 World Series. The Yankees are up 1-0 in the bottom of the 9th inning when Willie Mays doubles to right field with two outs and Matty Alou on first base. Roger Maris is in right field and the Giants third base coach doesn't send Alou home. The next batter Willie McCovey hits the most famous line out in World Series history.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Thanks to the help of some very awesome friends, I was able to go to Game 7 without having to donate a kidney.

As the play happened, I never gave a thought to Gordon going home. Not one. I've heard people rip him for not busting it out of the box, but that ball wasn't a hit off the bat. There was a 50/50 chance it was going to be caught, which was why Posey was out ready to celebrate with Bumgarner. The last thing Gordon or anyone watching expected to see was the ball go skipping to the wall.

I've gone to many Royals games wondering how the place would sound and feel during a playoff game... nevermind Game 7 of the series. Goddamn, it was great.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Wow. Didn't realize Crawford already had the ball at the point. When it got past Blanco, rolled the wall and then Perez kicked it, I was sure Gordon was going to score. More torture for Giants fans!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'll also say this: Gordon getting thrown out 45 feet from home plate is how the Royals of the last 8 years would've lost -- and keep in mind the Royals of the last 8 years found losses no matter where they were hiding.

That game needed to end or continue with the bat in Perez's hands.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I honestly don't remember a baseball crowd sounding more pumped... the whole playoffs.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Mays has said often that if he was the baserunner, not Alou, he would have run through the coach's stop sign. But when you're Willie Mays, you can do that.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just a couple of things. First off, the picture shows that Gordon was nearly at a stop already at third base. Had the coach been sending him and he hadn't slowed down, he's three more steps around the base.

The thing in baseball is that guys are usually so gassed by this point that they're often stumbling between home and third. Not that Gordon is slow, but he'snot Dyson or Cain. Maybe you sent either one of them, but not Gordon.

In the end, though, with hindsight being 20-20 and Perez popping out, the result couldn't have been worse than how it ended.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The significance of Gordon's run probably plays a factor as well. If he represents the winning run, maybe he gets sent. The worst case scenario there is you go to extras. But the fact if Gordon gets thrown out it ends the game, you give Perez a chance to hit a single.

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Does three World Series wins in five years make the Giants a dynasty?

Draft saved Draft deleted