1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maddon leaves Rays

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 24, 2014.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Under the basic assumption that this whole stunt was put together in a little more than five days.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you believe that then you would also have to think that The Cubs orchestrated Andrew Friedman's departure which is what triggered the clause in Madden's contract that allowed him to leave.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I'm not saying I believe it. I'm saying that Rays are going to bring up tampering charges.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't think Bud's happy about the timing of the news.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And they'll lose.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Since Bud has been a joke of a commissioner, he can go F himself.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The Cubs probably tampered. The Rays almost certainly can't prove it.

Tampering happens a hundred times an offseason. It's the Rays' job to make some noise about it, but the chances of a charge sticking are almost impossible.

And given that he's exercising this clause 100 times out of 100, even if it's to get more money, there's no grounds to claim loss.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You think this guy's gonna vigorously pursue any such claims before he walks out the door?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. 3_Octave_Fart

I don't know why people are closed to the reality that Maddon was probably fired.
    Nothing is ever as it seems, especially within an organization as secretive as the Rays have been.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Because there is not a single reason out there that would point to him being fired.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

Other than a belly-up season from a team that was talked about as a World Series contender.
    Friedman was not Merlin. Nor is Maddon.
    Many smart people made the Rays what they were.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's all true, but it doesn't say anything about some weird conspiracy theory that everyone is lying and he was actually fired.

Draft saved Draft deleted