1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a Giants fan, I'm hoping/dreaming for 6 innings of SHO or 1 run ball out of Huddy, then its to 1 inn of MadBum, then its to the bullpen of Lopez/Romo/Affeldt/Casilla.

Posey has got to be tired; no off days w/r games but there have been more off days between games and that spread btwn series starts so maybe not that big a diff. Somehow, someway I have to believe he's going to come through with a big play tonight; he's their best player.

Giants games have not really been about pitching but their hitting, will their hits come. They've been a team the last half of the season that relied on bunching hits together, not hammering the ball like at the start of the year.

At the start of the playoffs, if given the chance for a Gm. 7 in the WS, you could not be disappointed. Another chance for the Giants to add a new story (Gm. 7 win) to their history.

As Willie would say, "Say Hey!!"

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We don't know Bochy is dead set on using him. I'm dead set on it, but for some reason they don't call me.

I think he is somewhere in Bochy's head as a situational lefty, which A) gets through some tough middle innings; and B) frees Bochy to use Affeldt or Lopez to get out of an early jam.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Exactly, if this gets to the 5th, I'll take it.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One of Bochy's fundamental points is that he's not going to panic. Huddy's been a starter and so he'll start. Bochy's not afraid to go unconventional and pull the starter early, but he's not going to start MadBum on 2 days rest. That's a panic move that he probably feels sends the wrong message to the team.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Nervous on tight but oddly confident in the Royals.

We made a last-minute decision to go to Game 6 last night, the kid and me. Not the three-generational family fest but we did get to take in so much. Another wonderful day without work for me and algebra for him.

Game 7? Nope... too expensive and work beckons!

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My buddy in KC said SRO tickets are going for $850.

My 4-year-old cried this morning when I told him we wouldn't be going out to KC for the game. He's not real up on U.S. geography, or the state of his parents' bank account.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Here's hoping that "Huddy" and "MadBum" come up clutch tonight.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I often do some clutching thinking about (and looking at) bums.

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Two very evenly matched teams. The games haven't been classics, but they have revealed just how level the field is between them. I reckon the first reliever arrives when the first baserunner reaches second base. Whatever happens, the team that wins tonight earned it. As a lifelong Royals fan, I have to say the Giants are a classy organization with a passionate fanbase that does it proud. As a lifelong Royals fan, I have to say if we lose and it's because of MadBum, then I'll be proud of the fact it took one of the greatest individual efforts in postseason baseball history in order to finally put KC away. As a Royals fan, I have to say ... TAKE THE CROWN! GO ROYALS!

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So, um, who ya rooting for tonight? ;)

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I want one team to lose in a way that defies the easy storyline. I want the Royals' elite bullpen guys to get rocked or the Giants to fall down in the outfield, make mental mistakes and throw the ball all over the place.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So in other words you would stick with Ishikawa.

Draft saved Draft deleted