1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think so. I would guess five max out of Hudson -- twice through the order and then they make the move even if he is throwing a shutout. His last two starts they have been burned by leaving him out there for that one extra inning the third time through the lineup. Of course it would come down to him, though, since his "what's between your legs" challenge has become a recurring theme this month.

The bigger concern is Guthrie. Guys like that drive the Giants crazy. He was the first starting pitcher in WS history to get the win without any walks or strikeouts.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Agreed. Getting five out of Hudson is what Bochy has to be praying four. If he turns in a start like he turned one in against Washington, Giants will be sitting pretty. The scary thing will be if Huddy gets roughed up in the second or third innings.

I know Bumgarner is build like an ox, but I just don't see how you can expect him to pull a Curt Schilling on the mound tonight.

3. LongTimeListener

Eh, Randy Johnson gave the Diamondbacks 1 1/3 innings on zero days' rest after throwing 104 pitches in 2001.

Throwing on two days' rest is not impossible. You don't want to make a habit of it and you don't want to Koufax it with a complete game, but I don't think it's quite the physical stretch it is being made out to be either.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think the issue is more of an effectiveness one: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/giving-a-questionable-start-to-baseballs-best-starter/

Obviously, variance swamps everything in a one-game sample. But the preponderance of evidence points to Bumgarner being good, but not MADISON BUMGARNER! tonight.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Saberhagen throwing first pitch tonight.

It's going to be special.

6. LongTimeListener

But he isn't starting.

7. Big Circus

He's still pitching, isn't he?

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Randy Johnson was a freak of nature, and I don't mean because he was tall.

9. LongTimeListener

I suppose, but they're measuring what a guy does trying to throw 75-100 pitches.

10. Big Circus

You're right that it's not a perfect comparison, but the sample size is so small that that probably doesn't exist. I suppose he could go out there and air it out more with the expectation that he's only going a couple of innings instead of trying to go deep. But the short-rest penalty, much like the struggle and the thirst, is real.

11. LongTimeListener

Maybe. The only time Bumgarner has done it is in the 2010 NLCS, and he threw two scoreless innings (fifth and sixth) in Philadelphia.

Honestly I'd be thrilled if it gets to the fifth inning and this is still a live talking point.

12. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Here's something ... If Bochy is dead set on getting 2-3 innings from MadBum, why not start him for the first two innings? Avant garde, perhaps, but if you're gonna use him, use him ASAP so your crew can get out to a good start.

Draft saved Draft deleted