1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Strickland serve it up. Then rage like a jerkoff.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

How do the A's feel right now if they're watching this.

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Thinking O.no

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

All righty then -- trying to be the optimist, the one silver lining is that the Giants didn't burn through their rapidly deteriorating bullpen AND lose. I did not have a great feeling going into this game, but getting into the pitching depth would have been so terrible. As it stands, except for Petit's brief appearance (which wouldn't limit his availability tomorrow), the game was handled entirely by guys who won't be needed for Game 7. Of course, the Royals say the same thing.

For whatever reason, Petit does not like entering in the middle of an inning with runners on base. It's weird considering he always pitches from the stretch anyway and he's such a strike-thrower, but that's just a quirk he has. Bochy accommodated that by not going to him in Game 2 and it burned him, so he went the other way tonight and got burned again. Tomorrow I think it's Lopez or Affeldt if that situation comes up.

I don't think either team needs more than about four innings from the starter, and if there's trouble before that -- even if there haven't been any runs scored -- both have options. Guessing we see Bumgarner at least two innings.

I guess it's just all going to come down to who has the clutchiest clutchers of clutch.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Seems like it's worse than a quirk. More of an embarrassing flaw?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's a clutch post

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You mean there's luck involved in this game? I thought it was all chemistry.

Also, wasn't Petit the secret weapon?

8. LongTimeListener

Jose Canseco shoots middle finger off, will be unavailable out of bullpen tomorrow.

http://deadspin.com/jose-canseco-accidentally-shoots-off-his-middle-finger-1652076502

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Well, I mean, duh.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I know Bum's a stud, but I like the Royals chances with a guy on 2 days rest.

11. LongTimeListener

It will only be for a couple innings -- my guess is something like whatever inning/innings the Hosmer-through-Moustakas portion of the lineup comes up the third time. It's his normal bullpen day anyway.

More talk out here about Posey, who is now in by far the longest stretch of his career without an XBH. Lots and lots of weak grounders, from a guy who led the league in hits off 95+mph fastballs during the season. I said it about a week ago, but whether it's injury or just fatigue, he doesn't look right. I think a long season, and a long month of exclusively catching (which he never does during the regular season), have caught up.

Of course, Miguel Cabrera was spent last year too and then he bombed the A's out of the playoffs in Game 5. So a boy can dream.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So is the Giants best scenario 5-6 innings of 1-2 run ball from Hudson, 2-3 innings from Bumgarner and whoever and whatever to get the final 3 outs?

Draft saved Draft deleted