1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Working Poor: Players in MLS?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by britwrit, Oct 27, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think a professional sports league -- and one that says it is "major league" and grooms players to compete in the World Cup -- having 10 percent of its workforce below $40,000 is a pretty noteworthy number. Hell, half the players are below $92K, and most people would find that in itself a surprisingly low number for a professional athlete.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At $36,000 they can probably qualify for EBT cards like some of their
    fan base.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

WNBA minimum is $35K for first year players. Granted, the season is only four months a year.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's more than I was offered to join an MISL team many years ago.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But unlike most of their fanbase, they're here legally.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The tough thing about the salary is that it kind of locks you in from March to October. There aren't a lot of soccer camps, or teams you can get a side gig as an assistant coach in the off-season.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There are camps and club teams running year-round. No such thing as off-season. An enterprising young player could make more coaching that than he would playing.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

MLS is not a major league yet, but it is growing for sure and is on stable financial footing. The salaries will rise as the league grows. But it may take organized industrial action (i.e. a strike) to shake a few shillings loose from the league.

The single entity has led to the league's survival, but there is little pressure on salaries to rise. Klinsi doesn't mind if the stars go to Europe to get paid, of course.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You take the good, you take the bad...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-chivas-usa-ceases-operations-20141027-story.html

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This story was written for one reason and one reason alone… MLS CBA is getting negotiated this offseason!

The players are going with the “we’re so poor, we have to have roommates” argument.

USSF determines league level designation. Another league cannot just start up and declare themselves top flight. Ask the NASL folks how that is going…

Not for nothing, but how is it that we’ve dictated that professional athletes should make some astronomically high salary?

I’m not sure what you would classify as a “major league.” With the CBA up, I’m sure the player’s salaries will rise, just as they did last time.

Klinsmann is a clown when he talks. Taking what he says seriously should never be on anyone’s radar.

What is bad about this?

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've seen the Goats play. Nothing is bad about making them go away.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

USSF is the U.S. member of FIFA. That was what I meant when I said you would need FIFA to make it happen. I was suggesting is that if you want to start a competitive league and you are capitalized well enough, you could buy them off to get the DI designation. I don't know about USSF specifically, but I just assumed you could count on the typical FIFA-like way of doing business. You don't just start up and declare yourself a DI league. You come in well capitalized, and hand out envelopes filled with money to make it happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted