1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 for 30 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Oct 6, 2009.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

He filled reporters' notebooks as a Knick. After pretty much every win, he'd put his hand over his eyes and tell one of the camera guys the light was too bright. Then for most questions he'd answer, " We were focused. We stepped it up."

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Just finished Hillsborough as someone who couldn't give two shits about soccer and....Jesus, do you feel for the parents of the victims interviewed.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

That one was just tremendous, and horrifying. Very well done.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I thought that was the best of the latest run I've seen, and I liked how they linked it up with the Goodfellas movie. It was also amazing that it did seem to be water under the bridge for them at the end of the flick.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Classic "Be nice on your way up, or we'll judge you as the douchebag you were,when you're on the way back down" guy.

Laugh out loud at WFAN callers wondering why he's not a head coach.

They must all be very, very young.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It took a special talent to earn that title, but earn it, Jack did.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

For Henry Hill, this scheme was small potatoes. Heck, the only way anyone found out about it was because when the federal prosecutor on the Lufthansa theft asked him how he met his girlfriend from Pittsburgh (the prosecutor noted in 30 for 30 that Goodfellas left out during the witness protection discussion scene that Hill has two girlfriends in the lobby he also wanted protected), he flat-out said it was through a guy in Pittsburgh he met in the BC game-fixing scheme. Except that Hill first ID's the college as BU.

For anyone who cares, the oh-wow moment on Jim Sweeney's roommate -- it was Mike Maycock. I still can't figure out whether Sweeney was as naive as he said he was. The benefit of getting Kuhn on camera would be hearing how full of shit he thought Sweeney was.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

One of the guys interviewed on the 30 for 30, Ernest Volkman, co-wrote a really good book about Lufthansa called "The Heist." It details a lot of the B.C. stuff in there too.

It's out of print and hard to find for cheap. I bought it about 10 years ago off Half.com for a couple of bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Heist-Kennedy-Airport-Regret/dp/0531150240

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ1373726

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Brian Bosworth one last week was pretty good. Had forgotten what a great player he was in college.

The one that debuts tomorrow "Brothers in Exile" is about Livan & Orlando Hernandez. Should be enough 1997 NCLS Eric Gregg footage to give me an aneurysm.

10. Watched Bad Boys.
    Loved it.

Hated those mother fuckers. Esp. Laimbeer. But everybody hated Laimbeer.
    Surprised they never really covered Rodman's impact as a rebounder - just a player. And never once referred to him as "The Worm."

Loved Rick Mahorn though.
    Isiah .. seemed like a nice kid, who just gradually became more and more of a cocksucker.

It was enjoyable to relive that.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I enjoyed re-living the Bosworth story, and yes he was an amazing college football player, but I could've done without the contrived scenes where he supposed to be working out his daddy issues with his son.

Wish the 30 for 30 filmmakers would dispense with those sort of worn out gimmicks--imo, they add nothing and often feel phony and almost reality show-esque. Just tell the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted