1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need your opinion ... Plagiarism or not?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave_Ammenheuser, Oct 27, 2014.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Saturday Down South has been edited.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

No.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You have contradicted yourself.

Credit is clearly given, which goes against the classic definition of plagiarism:

... the "wrongful appropriation" and "stealing and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions" and the representation of them as one's own original work ...

There's no effort here to mislead about the source of the reporting - it's even linked.

In the new Gannett universe of social engagement, I would argue this is a net plus.

Saturday Down South has 131,000 twitter followers.
    The Tennessean has 76,100 followers
    The account @tnsports, the official department twitter, has 8,295 followers.

The story link gets a heck of a lot more attention from the SDS site, then, as a result of that blog post.

It's the classic HuffPo clickbait model. I'm not a fan, but it's the universe we're in.

4. Never heard from the writer or the site ... But the story was mysteriously rewritten around midnight and reposted. Hmmmmmm.

Henry: you must have read the revised version that SDS posted. It's original story literally copied/pasted full sentences.

I don't care how many followers they have. Using your logic, it's ok for the New York Times to steal a story from anywhere and post it as their own. Sorry, they do not have that right. And neither does anyone else.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some folks seem to think if something is posted on the web they can take and use it however they like.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Even with the rewritten/re-edited story, I'd still be awfully interested in an explanation. Are you still pursuing one?

7. Received an email from the site's editor this morning. He apologized. Said the writer was reprimanded.

Is that enough?

I know if I (or many of you) had done something similar, we wouldn't have jobs this morning.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Not enough.

I'd want some kind of editor's note/explainer featured prominently on their site, explaining what happened, how and why it happened, and what the consequences are. I figure most of the people who have already read that (your guy's) story on their site still don't know a thing about the plagiarism and won't unless there's an editor's note that slaps them in the face. They need to know the story they read was your guy's story.

Also, I think plagiarism is a lot like drunk driving. People who get caught always say "It's the first time I ever did that - I swear!" and it's a load of bullshit. The odds this is the first story this writer has plagiarized are about zero. I'd be asking if there's any investigating going on about this "writer's" past work. And for that matter, of the whole staff/contributors past work. Is this a culture where plagiarism is widespread.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

New writer? Young writer? Part of our job at our stage anyway is to be in the education business. If there's no history of this and you believe the apology was sincere, chalk it up as a good lesson learned for him and everyone moves on.
    But if you are not comfortable? Then no, not enough.

If that makes sense

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And that, Dave, is when it goes too far. IMO.

It's become too easy for people to throw "take their job" out there. Especially when the next job is so hard to come by these days.

A mistake was made. It was corrected. An apology was presented. If these things had not happened, I would have been the first to say pursue it. But now? Let it go.

I'm sure quite a few will disagree. That's OK. Just my two cents.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Moddy knows of what he speaks.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, dig that. Tried to find a link to that whole story.
    In that case, as you know, it was definitely a firing offense.

This case? Not so sure but Dave has a feel and judgment that none of us has with this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted