1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Oscar Taveras

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Oct 26, 2014.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I covered sports in Brown's hometown and drove past the crash site a few times.

But you can't really blame the car. Even an Escalade can kill someone with a lead foot and no regard for safety and seat belts.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Terrible news. Always hard to hear about somebody dying at such a young age. RIP

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

St. Louis rushed him to the majors but he had more than the hit tool.
    He was a hell of a better option than that Grichuk guy they kept giving meaningful ABs to.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yeah but some cars are less forgiving then others. Light back and powerful engine on Camaro make it very susceptible to fishtailing and spin-outs in the hands of a inexperienced driver. Same with the Vette. Jerome had literally just pulled out of
    Chevy dealer when he stepped on it and spun out on slick road.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Given what I imagine the Dominican roadway system to be, Taveras probably didn't have a chance, either.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Wasn't Jerome going about 90 mph?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Mariano Rivera has often said that is the one time he has not minded blowing a save.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As someone who has been there and can speak from experience without generalizing, to say that a lot of drivers adhere to little or no traffic "laws" is an understatement. I've never been to Puerto Plata, where Taveras is from (and where he died) but there are congested cities where you might have 15 or 20 people on poorly-built motorcycles weaving in and out of traffic at all times, often traveling at ridiculous speeds.

No idea if the accident was his own fault, or a combination of things, but driving in the DR can be an adventure to say the least.

9. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

Just returned from Puerto Plata last week and can definitely vouch for the general recklessness on the road.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ken Hubbs was from Utah, which a year later was dealt another blow with the death of Wayne Estes, Utah State basketball great who was electrocuted his senior year.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mentioning active athletes who died, and no one brought up Derrick Thomas?
    Paralyzed in an offseason car wreck, died a few weeks later when a blood clot shook loose.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

As active players dying goes, was any bigger than Roberto Clemente?

And one I remember from my teen years was relief pitcher Danny Frisella, who died in a dune buggy accident during the off-season on Jan. 1, 1977.

Draft saved Draft deleted