1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports opening in Pratt, KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RBluhm, Oct 20, 2014.

1. RBluhm

RBluhm New Member

Hello all, I'm now editor at Dodge City, Kansas and our sister newspaper in Pratt, KS -- a three-days-a-week publication -- has an opening for a sports editor. People interested can contact publisher Conrad Easterday at ceasterday@dodgeglobe.com or can PM me for more information. My email is rbluhm@dodgeglobe.com just in case.

2. RBluhm

RBluhm New Member

A little more information. The newspaper is a Gatehouse newspaper and it's a one-man show. There may be opportunities for advancement to other company newspapers in the future.

3. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Pratt Community College has solid men's basketball program in Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference Western Division. Other than that, one of their other features is two water towers — one hot and one cold (fictional) — which is a running joke in town, I guess.

4. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Is Pratt Tribune web-savvy? Three-Days-Per-Week paper? What's salary?

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A regular payment made from an employer to an employee.

6. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Einstein, aren't we?

7. FinsFan

FinsFan New Member

Salary would depend on experience and what publisher can offer. As for web-savvy, all Gatehouse newspapers try to upload frequently and have a social media presence. Job is still open. Thought it was filled, but candidate got job offer close to home.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Pratt is about 80 miles west of Wichita and has one high school inside the city limits (Pratt High, of course) and another rural school just west of the city limits (Skyline). Pratt also occasionally hosts state tennis tournaments and has hosted state baseball and softball in the past. This season, Pratt will have Class 2-1A state softball.

I don't know how many high schools it covers in total, but I'd guess they would cover at least Medicine Lodge, Kiowa County, and Cunningham. South Barber might also be in the coverage area.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

...and the name of the JUCO basketball "arena" they play at.......

Yep.

The Beaverdome.

Draft saved Draft deleted