1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Took advantage of a weekend in Hong Kong to see "Gone Girl." I had not read the book. Don't get a lot of chances to see movies and had looked forward to this one. I was not disappointed.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Saw The Equalizer on the weekend. Creative revenge violence but thought it would have worked a lot better if there had been less of it. Story was cliché.

I have become a big Denzel fan, find him believable in pretty much everything he does.

I saw the trailer for the new Keanu Reeves movie. Looks like he is some sort of bad ass. My wife had to shoosh me when I burst out laughing at Reeve's line "that dog was a gift from my dying wife", just sounded so goofy.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Gone Girl. Liked it a lot and didn't think the length was too bothersome. A little weird, though. Was nice to see Nora from The Leftovers again.

Chef. Probably my favorite movie of the year. Loved everything about it.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think the problem with watching Top Secret is that a lot of the references were specific for the time period and someone who is under 35 (or 40?) would have no idea what they were talking about. I liked the movie, and the bit with the Pinto was funny to me. When my sister and I were younger, she would always worry if I was following a Pinto.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yes, the Pinto bit was great. I also loved the bit with the phone in the foreground so it looked huge, then when it rings and is answered it turns out it is much bigger than normal.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Gone Girl - I don't know if I hated it or liked it, but I think I will remember it. I did laugh a lot and I don't know if you were supposed to do that.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Depends on which stuff you laughed at. There were some intentionally funny lines in the movie, especially from the lawyer.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't walk to see The Judge. Run.

Some of the late-game mechanics are too slick for words, but you will laugh your behind off, Downey's as great as ever, and it's the first thing I've ever seen Vince D'O in that I could stand to look at for more than a minute.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Children of Men," a movie that I somehow never saw since it came out.

It had some flaws, including some really clunky delivery of exposition in some scenes where Clive Owen eavesdrops repeatedly as people explain their nefarious plot to each other.

SPOILER ALERT

That said, it included two of the most memorable scenes of the century so far, I think. One is the early chase scene, which was almost 100 percent shot from inside the car, I think, in a continuous take. The second is when the girl carries her baby through the war zone, and the soldier calls a cease fire momentarily while everyone gawks in amazement. As she walks past the scene. the shooting and fighting begins again in the background. I have not completely processed that sequence yet for all of its layers, but I know it was quite powerful.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is the first car I remember my mom having.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Few are better than Cuaron, tho I found Gravity too showy for my taste.

Draft saved Draft deleted