1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor: San Juan Del Sur

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Sep 25, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I thought Rocker was pretty well-behaved all things considered. I can see how it would get old when people are screaming over something he did 15+ years ago. He's obviously still a hot head, but it seemed like he tried to do the right thing and the times he blew his top, he was baited into doing so, not that that excuses it.

I always wonder how a guy like that makes money after baseball. It's not like he can run clinics or coach like some do. I don't think he ever got a huge payday (by baseball standards).

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the skeptic in me but I will have a hard time believing that Rocker's past wasn't leaked by the producers - or whomever - to the other tribe to create the kind of shit we saw at the end of the challenge last night. It's not like you can Google him on your iPhone at the camp to find out what he did and even then it was in 1999, most of the people on there were in the early-to-mid teens when that happened and he hadn't been a regular in the bigs since 2002. He hasn't exactly had a high profile or been a household name since then.

Yeah, would have no idea what he would do to make a buck, not like he raked it in - relatively - when he was playing.

3. RecoveringJournalist

I think he's recognizable enough that it's not a reach to think that a handful of people would know who he was, especially those from down south. He has a very distinct look and is still built like an athlete. The kid who recognized him was from Louisiana.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I get that and a friend of mine made the same points, it certainly isn't as blatant as the 20-something who "recognized" Gary Hogeboom, who was shitting the bed in the NFL before she was born.

5. RecoveringJournalist

Agreed. There was no way she recognized Hogeboom unless someone tipped her off.

6. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I think the girl who recognized Hogeboom attended the same college he did and recognized him from a photo of his for the school's Hall of Fame (if I'm remembering that correctly)

And it was Jeremy, the firefighter, who initially told his tribemates who Rocker was and his infamous comments in the Pearlman story. He was pissed that Rocker didn't protect his wife from getting voted out...and I believe Rocker even told Jeremy when they were together at exile that he was John Rocker. Jeremy is definitely old enough to remember what he said back then, if he didn't already put 2+2 together once the game started.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

FWIW, Dalton Ross in his Entertainment Weekly recap said Jeremy told him before the season started that he knew who Rocker was

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/survivor-san-juan-del-sur-episode-3/

8. RecoveringJournalist

She went to KU. He went to Central Michigan.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I went to college with Jeremy (I didn't know him, but we have some mutual friends) and I would expect that a former athlete of his age who enjoys sports would have known who Rocker is.

I'm disappointed Rocker got voted out because he was good television. As someone else noted, he actually was mostly pretty composed until people started coming at him.

If I were playing, I would have wanted to bring him to the final two or three with me and then argue that he's a former professional athlete who has already earned more than $5 million in his career, and, oh by the way, he's also probably a bigot. Do you want to give $1 million to him or me?

I'm rooting for Jeremy at this point. I don't care for Baylor, the twin, Julie (Rocker's girl) or the lazy guy (Alec?).

Dale is likable and surprisingly useful. Wes and his dad are also fairly likable, but I'm not sure they'll be strategic enough to win. Josh is a total fraud (he's already written down Baylor's name twice, but in explaining his vote for Rocker he talked about having to respect his first alliance with her).

10. RecoveringJournalist

If there is someone who isn't a nightmare to be around (I never got the sense the Rocker was a problem except at challenges) who can help at challenges but can't, under almost any circumstances, win the game, the smart move is to keep that guy around. You do that and the target is going to be on them before it's on you.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed. And if they are a nightmare to be around, so much the better. Teaming up with an unlikable player is a strong strategy, particularly if they are predictable.

Philip Sheppard was a tough ally because there was a 50/50 shot he'd expose your plan at Tribal Council. You never knew what he might say.

12. RecoveringJournalist

And he was one of the ones who Boston Rob kept around. I can't remember if he made it to the jury or went out just before, but Rob kept bringing him along because he knew there was no better person for him to go against at jury.

Draft saved Draft deleted