1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 5 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Ohio State is INCREDIBLY young. Urban stockpiled / redshirted a ton of 4/5 star kids, while winning a bunch of games with Tressel's kids the last 2 years.

It's taken all of 4 weeks for the offense to come together. When the defense gets the new scheme figured out & the kids rotated in, they're going to be a handful. For a number of years.

2. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Agreed on that. Morris shouldn't have been out there even before the shot to the jaw as he was essentially defenseless given the bad leg.

The fact that Morris had to go back to take that single snap after Gardner's helmet came off because the third-string QB couldn't even find his helmet seems indicative of just how little focus there was on that sideline.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The empty seats will do more than anything to get an AD to make a decision. But it isn't like you need to do it in season. I highly doubt Michigan would be interested in a coach who isn't currently roaming a sideline on Saturdays or Sundays.

We've discussed the decline of top recruits in Big 10 territory - it's even more evident when you look at the top 25 high school teams. None in Michigan, Ohio or Pennsylvania. One in Minnesota and two in Jersey.

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Actually, the AD is the even bigger issue. No way either he OR Hoke survive this dumpster fire.

5. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

I could see Harbaugh leaving midseason to take the Michigan job.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Then put down the LSD.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I agree with the decline of Big 10 recruits, but I wouldn't go by anybody's high school top 25. They're essentially guesswork.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Notre Dame, and now Penn State with Franklin, have had success raiding the talent out of the private schools in the DC area and other spots in the mid-Atlantic. That might not be a bad strategy for for the next Michigan coach. You've got league games at Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers to sell to recruits. Virginia and Virginia Tech have the ACC mandate to get power conference schools on the non-conference schedule, so give their ADs a call and set up a series.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I think, even more than the level of play today, letting Morris keep playing - when he looked like Gerry Cooney in the 13th Round - was absolutely befuddling and fully irresponsible.

If Morris was playing like 1984 Dan Marino, maybe he gets the benefit of the doubt. Morris should have been pulled long before he got popped.

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Don't blame geography & demographics. These are big, historic programs, with immense resources. They've also, with the exception of Ohio State & Michigan State, made sh*tty coaching hires (no, I'm not a James Franklin fan...). In spite of their resources they recruit poorly & settle for a mediocre style of football. Shitty coaches=shitty football. Period.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I actually saw Lynchburg in person earlier this season when they played one of our state FCS teams. Good lord, they're terrible.
    Lynchburg got boatraced, of course, but they looked like a JV high school team in terms of size and physical ability. One of their guys got the shit knocked out of him and our photographer said it looked "like a baby giraffe" trying to get to the sideline.
    On the bright side, the score was so lopsided I was able to start writing my gamer in the second quarter and knocked it out, sans quotes and final stats, by the start of the third quarter. Wrote two other stories while the beating was in progress, too.
    Lynchburg is an independent, I think (even the coach the team I was covering said he was going into the game blind because he couldn't find any information on them). If they win one or two games this season, I'd hate to see the quality of the team they beat.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Awww, come on. No one fist pumps and checks out his assistants wives' like Captain Headshave.

Draft saved Draft deleted