1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone know a resume service in New York?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by StacDemon, Aug 17, 2014.

1. StacDemon

StacDemon New Member

I was thinking of sharpening up my resume with a noted professional in New York City. Does anyone know a person who specializes in resumes for writers in the area?

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. StacDemon

StacDemon New Member

Nobody?

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Writers write.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Your alma mater could probably help.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I know people who have gone to those resume services and they pay a fortune (usually $500+ minimum and sometimes closer to $1,000) and usually the help is minimal.

Do some online research before you waste your money. When I got my first job after journalism, I had worked with a job recruiter, who helped me spice things up a little bit on the resume and I didn't have to pay him unless he directly helped me get a job. I ended up taking a different offer, but he was really cool about it and said, "If you were happy with my work, and you know someone who wants to go into this field, send some people my way." and I've sent three people to him in the last 5-6 years. He got two of them jobs.

People feed off others' desperation to find work. Be really careful and try not to get roped in. It could be a very expensive mistake.

6. StacDemon

StacDemon New Member

K, thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

Draft saved Draft deleted