1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Palm Coast, FL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1569220

Company: Palm Coast Observer
    Position:
    Sports reporter needed, with super clean copy
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000

Description:

Most reporters can summarize what happened in a high school football game, but can you find the human angle behind the score? We're looking for a reporter who can develop sources among five high schools and find stories that everyone — even people who aren't sports fans — will want to read. This is a weekly, community newspaper based in Palm Coast and Ormond Beach, Florida, and our focus is on storytelling and features, rather than scores. Think Sports Illustrated, not "SportsCenter."

While this is primarily a sports writing job, other news assignments could include covering the School Board and other general news assignments.

Photography skills are a big plus. Clean copy is a must, with AP Style expertise. Seeking a reporter who needs little supervision and is able to take ownership over the sports section. Must be willing to make that extra phone call and get that extra interview to make your story a success, just because you take pride in your work and want to serve your audience as well as possible. Must be a team player who tells good jokes.

In your cover letter, demonstrate your ability to make the reader care from the first paragraph.

Send cover letter, resume and clips to Brian McMillan at editor@palmcoastobserver.com. The job is open immediately, so please state how soon you could begin work in Palm Coast.

2. Schottey

Schottey Member

Think I posted the last time this job was posted—and it hasn't been a while—but I'll do so again:

*First, the last guy who took this job graduated to a role at The Washington Post (after just a few months) and the guy before him is now the Web Editor for a TV station in Orlando. Not bad omens if you're a young person looking for a stepping stone.

*The paper is a really solid publication for a non-weekly/non-subscription paper. It runs entirely off of ad revenue as part of the larger "Observer" network of papers across Florida, and they seem to really know what they're doing from an ad sales standpoint. Web presence is so-so, but they're great on social and that helps. I've never worked with Brian, but we met once to pick each other's brains and he's definitely a good guy. The newsroom seems like a relaxed, nice place to work and I haven't had any negative dealings with anyone on their smaller staff.

*Palm Coast is halfway between St. Augustine and Ormond Beach on the Atlantic coast of Florida. Jacksonville is about an hour to the north, Daytona is about 45 minutes to the south and Orlando is about 90 minutes southwest. We're north enough that we still have a "winter" but that means that there might be some frost on the ground.

*Town is in a weird spot pulling itself out of the recession as it was a boom economy before the dive. It has a large vocal retirement population but is quickly becoming more of a family community. Unemployment is a big problem, but if you already have this job, that isn't as much of a concern (obviously something to consider for a S.O.). Public schools have their issues, but are some of the highest-rated in Florida and have been improving in the five years I've been here. There's also a few private schools (I sit on the board of one) and Florida has a school-voucher system.

*Every once in a while you may need to drive to Daytona or St. Augustine for errands, but P.C. is a growing economy with about 100K people, lots of mom-and-pop restaurants, about 15minutes from the beach no matter where you live and ridiculously low housing prices (buy, don't rent...if possible).

Any questions about the area, feel free to message me.

3. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

This ever get filled?

4. Florida_Man

Florida_Man Member

Yep, about a month ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted