1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I loved Damon Wayans Jr. on Happy Endings, a criminally underrated show, but Nina Dobrev was showing a clip of the movie on Fallon and it looked pretty bad. (She was otherwise humorous though.)

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Did a double-feature tonight.

Expendables 3 -- This is the first of this series I've seen, but I ended up enjoying it, as did the rest of the near-full house.

The Giver -- Reminded me a bit of Pleasantville. Good story.

3. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Boyhood. Lengthy, sure, but as Ben said, the time flies by. It's 2:45 but it's one I'll watch over and over. There's an excellent little scene where Mason goes in to cash a check at a liquor store for his awful stepdad. Little nod to Dazed and Confused. Also saw Calvary. Wee bit dark, but Brendan Gleeson is terrific.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just finishing watching it. Not too many movies that can be so uplifting and so sad at the same time. And the performances are just spectacular.

Williams delivering his speech to the hospital's patrons at the end is so perfect. I wish he could have remembered those words before making his final decision.

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I was honestly shocked by the terrible reviews.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Saw this last night. What, exactly, were the "philosophical" questions that it brought up?

I thought it was horrible. The concept was fine, but the execution was terrible. Kudos to the director, but everything else was just awful. Seriously, did anyone not notice his date was a cell phone? It reminded me of "The Brady Bunch" scene where Jan drags along a blow-up doll for a date. HELLO, NOT REAL!

The sober scenes made me literally laugh out loud, which, I think, annoyed one of the people with whom I was viewing it. (The one man seemed to like it, but his wife and I mocked it all the way through.)

Oh, and his gig -- how stupid was that? Writing romantic letters for people? So, how do you do that? These people write to you and spill their guts and then you reply, pretending to be them, then they somehow give you all the details on both sides to continue this? Huh? Or do you, in great coincidence, somehow write represent both parties in the relationship? Oh Theodore, we say you working plenty, but you never researched anything. You just walked around talking to yourself.

And compiling those letters in a book? Sorry, buddy, what you wrote now belongs to your publisher, not you. And you would not be compiling those for a book without permissions from all those people whose privacy you'd be violating anyway.

God, it was so bad on many levels. I just didn't get it. It was nice to see that both Theodore and Amy brushed their hair for the final scene, though.

And while LA of the future appears to be a very clean place, I am not ready for the wardrobes. Please, men, do not bring those pants into style, stay away from cardigans and stick to shirts that fit.

So glad I didn't pay for that one.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Saw "A Most Wanted Man." Pretty good movie...weird watching Hoffman, though.

8. RonClements

LOL Her was fantastic. It's pretty clear you "didn't get it."

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I can see people not being into it. But it raises a lot of questions about artificial intelligence and where it's headed and what that will mean for us in the future. Those are the philosophical questions I was talking about. There were a lot of people who were accepting of others having relationships like Phoenix's character had, and there were others who thought it was nuts. I wonder if that's a debate we might actually be having in 20 or 30 years. Raises questions about what love really is and how we define things like that.

10. RonClements

Her was a different take on a love story, different being the operative word, and I thought it was beautifully done.

On an unrelated note, I watched the Richard Pryor documentary Omit The Logic last night. I was captivated by it and, despite the fact that I was tired and wanted to go to bed, I couldn't turn the TV off. Pryor was a comic genius who changed comedy. His personal life was a horrid mess and you've got to wonder how his career may have gone had he never found cocaine or any other drugs. I was fascinated by the film and would recommend it to anyone - and it even has Robin Williams footage talking about Pryor.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I "got it." I just felt it was insipidly stupid. It wasn't even entertaining.

"Is a relationship with something fake a real relationship?" Um...NO.

Watched "The Descendents" last night. Never heard of it before, but man, what a fantastic surprise. Beautifully done. Loved the music and the scenery shots were gorgeous.

George Clooney is a heck of an actor. Completely believable in a distance father role. The Sid character I could have done without, but the two actors playing the daughters were also well-cast.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I like a lot of Robin Williams movies, but my fave is Alladin. The Genie character is so stream of conciousness it was right in his wheelhouse. Awesome.

Saw Lucy today and really liked it. Kind of a mashup of Limitless, the Bourne movies and The Matrix.

Draft saved Draft deleted