1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dirtybird, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Why would you think credibility is the goal?

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It is pretty remarkable how many papers became worse after Ramos got there.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Lopresti writes a weekly column for the Indianapolis Business Journal's sports pages and it is always a good read.

4. Mike lives in Richmond, an hour or so east of Indy.

I'm as big a Mike fan as anybody, but I can't see him going back to Gannett. Plus, one of Mike's best skills is the fact that he's pretty understated, probably for lack of a better term, compared to a lot of other columnists. Gut says Indy wants a splashy, borderline polarizing sort of guy...probably basing that in part off of Twitter vibe Ronnie gives.

I heard the same interview Playthrough did. Bob said he was still "bullish" on newspapers and that the WTHR deal had been in the works for weeks. Still, I couldn't help but read between the lines that something had gone sour. Don't know if others agree?

Interesting inside baseball week for me, a guy who worked just outside that market and crossed paths with a lot of Star guys.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'd guess there had been discussions for weeks, and then when the events of the last couple of weeks happened, that was enough to sour him and make his decision for him. Just a guess.

Agree with naked2 on Lopresti. I'm a big fan, but he's more of a middle-of-the-road guy and not as big a draw as they probably want. But they could do worse - like use the same strategy on "unobstructed moving" to fill the spot that they used/are using on the Deputy SE.

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The take from local media blogger Kent Sterling, who apparently wants to fill the vacancy as assistant sports editor:

"The positive for the Star’s sports department is that it is led by a very capable editor who has made positive changes in the digital product in his short time here. Ronnie Ramos appears to be a forward thinking manager who has a plan to evolve the product forward while adhering to corporate mandates for efficiency. It’s a tough gig, but he has shown a knack for getting things right in a tough situation."

I'll hang up and listen to your comment(s).

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this should be good.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Last five years? Just in the last WEEK the sports department has lost, easily, more than 100 years total experience with the departures of Kravitz, Chappell (who had covered the Colts since they arrived in 1984), Richards, Wilson and Ambrogi.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Chappell's gone? I hadn't heard that.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I know people who liked Lynn Hoppes. I know people who liked Garry Howard. I know people who liked John Cherwa. I even have a close friend who liked the since promoted Mike Kellams (He often jokes that he was the only one). I've never met anyone who has worked for Ramos who doesn't despise him.

I've worked for a couple sports editors who would make most top 10 worst lists but I've never seen people hate someone the way Ramos is hated. I went for drinks years ago with friends who were working for Ramos and I've never seen vitriol like I did with them. It went well beyond "He's an asshole." This was pure, unadulterated hatred, some of came from people who I wouldn't classify as a complainer on any level.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

If Chappell has left, it's been in the last week. I'm 99 percent sure he's still there.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It looks like that "blog" item was cribbed off of someone's resume with all the buzzwords.

Draft saved Draft deleted