1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Los Angeles Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Aug 7, 2014.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'd agree. Usually these jobs have never opened up in the past. Promote from within. Now they're advertising. I'm seeing a lot of jobs come open on Tribune Publishing's website.

2. BrianM

BrianM Member

I hope TJ Simers applies, just for the sake of entertainment value.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

the part about the guy 35 miles to the south: Is that serious or an in joke?

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Serious. And it wasn't referring to Simers, who, fortunately, is a distant memory in the newspaper game.

5. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

This news, I'd imagine, might affect the process here:

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/262279/former-suitor-for-l-a-times-becomes-publisher-and-ceo/#.U-ktGxJ4IxQ.twitter

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a big city SE (No. 1 in charge) who regularly works nights and weekends.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Maybe not all night or all weekends by any means, but sports editors at the l.a. times, hartford courant, miami herald, chicago tribune, boston globe et al sure worked their share, especially back in the day.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You're always "on" at some point.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

I know of at least two qualified candidates who don't plan to apply because of all the uncertainty with Tribune Publishing in general and LAT management/resources in particular. And the retirement was not a long-held secret in the department.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I know of one person who would be great at it but suspect he won't apply. But I suspect there will be many who do apply.

11. sportsed

sportsed Member

I know I won't be applying for the job. But then again, y'all don't know me so why should you care.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

If you wanted to be the sports editor of a large, elite, or at least once-elite, major-metro newspaper, why would that matter?

Particularly nowadays, when you know there are major resource issues almost everywhere, and you're staying and working at the paper/in the business anyway?

Unless you really think the ship is in imminent danger of truly sinking, why wouldn't you at least apply? It's not as if such positions are a dime a dozen.

Draft saved Draft deleted