1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOO!

2. Inky_Wretch

Score the game-winning goal on Wednesday, announce you're retiring on Thursday. Nice job, Landon Donovan.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Our greatest player and I think that the gap is huge. Don't think that he ever became the player that he could be -- too introspective and inquisitive I guess.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Greatest field player or greatest period? I'll agree with the first without hesitation, but don't know that I buy the second.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm stealing that.

6. Webster

I meant field player, but I still think that he is our best overall player (although not by as wide of a margin). Friedel and Howard (and to a lesser extent Keller and Guzan) have had fine careers, but it don't think they are transcendent talents.

7. Inky_Wretch

Landon, did the World Cup snub play a role in your retirement decision?

"I certainly wasn't going to let one person's poor decision this summer affect my decision."

BURN!

8. Inky_Wretch

Goalkeeper goal!

http://blog.foxsoccer.com/post/94278078802/hibernians-goalkeeper-scored-the-game-winning-goal-in

9. Inky_Wretch

Men in Blazers jump to NBC.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/articles/men-in-blazers-jump-to-nbc-1407714244

10. Webster

They had hinted that something was in the works. Striking while the iron is hot.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I still think USA was better off this summer without Landycakes. For quite a number of years, I stuck up for him in conversations as I thought his play superseded all. However, no… I don’t put him up there as greatest ever.

He had unbelievable talent and the frustrating propensity to disappear from games very consistently. He didn’t have the talent or versatility of Claudio Reyna. Donovan could have been the best player, but he just wasn’t.

12. Inky_Wretch

I don't entirely disagree.

That said, he certainly appears to be a good sport about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he2t3zNCEgk

Draft saved Draft deleted