1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

About 10 listens into Spoon's "They Want My Soul" and it's fantastic. A few older-style rockers peppered with synthy soul songs. Well worth the four-year wait. This is going to be my album of the summer.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I did my first listen this morning. It was similar to other Spoon albums - I liked it, but it's not likely an album I'll listen through a ton.

My favorite album that I found today is the new one from Philadelphia band A Sunny Day in Glasgow. Their older stuff is shoegaze-driven so not really my style. This one is more pop-laden and I really like it; same production team as the recent Kurt Vile and The War on Drugs albums. Verse, I think you'd really like it.

3. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

I loved it as well, which was no shock. The stretch from Rainy Taxi through Outlier is particularly tremendous. It seems to follow up Transference (which I loved) really naturally. It has that album's lightness, but with more fully realized songs.

Today I also listened to the new Bear in Heaven album. It has received mixed reviews, but I really liked it.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Also, you can stream the new Gaslight Anthem album here: iTunesRadio.com/TheGaslightAnthem

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You can also stream the new album from FKA Twigs, a pop/R&B singer. I've only listened to "Two Weeks" from her so far, but that's enough to hook me. Fantastic production mixed with a great voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDP9MKVhZc.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This song is dedicated to my haters.
    I won, asswipes.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Wack.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Incorrect, especially after listening to the rest of the album.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

She's OK. But she's very in-the-moment. FKA Twigs, everything about her, is so very 2014 that she almost seems like a record company Frankenstein's monster.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I probably won't even listen to the album that much because the sound is too minimal and electronic for my tastes, but I still think it's quite good. It reminds me a bit of Dawn Richard's Goldenheart from last year, which I liked when I listened to it, but didn't come back to it nearly as much as other albums.

Also, checked this out yesterday and liked it: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/aug/11/benjamin-booker-benjamin-booker-exclusive-album-stream. Considering it's by the same producer, it feels like a companion piece to the Boys & Girls from the Alabama Shakes.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Ryan Adams' set from Newport is up, contains some stuff from his new album.

http://thesteamengine.net/home/download-ryan-adams-2014-07-25-fort-adams-state-park-newport.html

Draft saved Draft deleted