1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports on Earth writers and editors laid off

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DrewJo, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Schottey

Schottey Member

Everyone lifts their skirt, the methods are just different...

Click-whoring is no different than the "if it bleeds it leads" concepts of the height of the print era. People who claim SEO/social strategies are somehow less pure than what papers used to do need to take a step back and realize that the people who make the money for the business weren't somehow less interested in the money a decade ago.

Direct traffic is always the goal, but there isn't a major website out there that wouldn't wither on the vine without search/social. As I said earlier, the biggest sites out there either have a major TV presence (ESPN) a portal which can drive typical non-readers to the content (Yahoo!) or an app that drives with push notifications.

It's part of the process and it isn't going away in an increasingly mobile era. Evolving, yes. New ways of monitizing, absolutely. But it's not going to stop. As I said above, this isn't morally/fundamentally/ethically any different than the newsies standing on the corner ginning up business by shouting sensationalized headlines. It's just new.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

No, I really wouldn't. My self-pride is enormous.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You're right, but man, Twitter can be a real shithole. You don't think you'll get drawn in to some petty squabble and suddenly, there you are, drawn in.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I would love to see how all these click whore sites like SportsGrid would do if they were forced to adhere to copyright laws.

Here are some sexy pics! That we stole! And turned into a slide show! Using someone else's content! Ha ha ha! Highbrow sports are so stupid!

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Pride is pronounced "importance" in this case.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

What is your problem, dude?
    Cause if you want to scrap I shall give you one.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You can't hang those curveballs and not expect someone to take a swing at them.

8. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Speaking of a "sports' site that trafficked in T&A, whatever happened to the infamous SportsbyBrooks? He vanished more than a year ago.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Back in the day, in LA, it was "Wanna squab?"

Just ask Bushwick Bill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KutXyPEEbQs

10. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Mike Tanier is leaving Sports on Earth.

https://twitter.com/MikeTanier/status/505439213983367169

He did follow that with another tweet, saying his work will appear at another site (though he didn't say where).

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

On Tuesday, I spoke to Dinn Mann, MLBAM’s executive vice-president (content), who oversees content for MLB.com, MiLB.com, and other sites including Sports on Earth. Mann said while the site lost many talented people as a result of the changeover from a partnership to a MLBAM-run site, MLBAM thinks there’s a strong future for it.

“We believe in the content, we believe in the subject matter, we believe in storytelling,” Mann said.

Some of the pieces posted in the wake of Sports on Earth’s changes argued the move proved that high-quality sportswriting couldn’t sustain itself without, say, traffic-friendly posts about athletes’ female relatives. Mann doesn’t agree with that, though, and he said the site’s not going to change its focus from offering insightful stories and analysis.

“I wouldn’t even refer to it as a new site,” he said. “It’s something that would evolve as it would have if there had not been a change. …The one thing that remains the same, for sure, is elevated discussion. It’s smart discussion about the topics that are trending.”

A big part of that goal of smart sports discussion includes keeping Sports on Earth as a site about much more than just baseball. While MLBAM came out of baseball, they also have partnerships for video and more with the likes of 120 Sports, ESPN3, March Madness Live. Top Rank Boxing, Sportsnet New York’s website and YES Network’s website. Mann said he wants Sports on Earth to be a leader in online discussion and analysis across sports, a place where sports fans can come for insightful takes on buzzing topics.

“It’s the sports bar that never closes,” he said. “We want it to be a place where the conversation occurs across all the sports topics of today.”

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/where-is-sports-on-earth-heading.html

12. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

Pretty big deal here. Wonder where he's going? Don't blame him for resigning from SOE, assuming he's upgrading to more stable situation. I wouldn't want to be the NFL guy at a MLB-run operation that just got done doing what SOE did over the last month.

Draft saved Draft deleted