1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports on Earth writers and editors laid off

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DrewJo, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Sports On Earth had a blog used similarly to The Triangle.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sports on Earth's problem, as compared to Grantland, is the same problem as Fanhouse had, as compared to Grantland: It is not linked to and promoted on the one site that 99 percent of sports fans go to every day.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What SOE didn't do was tweet well to draw traffic in. As of this post it has 8,030 tweets.

Every day my feed was full of Grantland (17.1K) and SB Nation tweets (140K).

Lo and behold, the feed has been full of SOE tweets since the massacre.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that SOE ever had a blog like the Triangle, which probably says as much about my regular visits to the site as it does the site's marketing and outreach. Did the blog contain one-off things like quirky videos or Tweets from athletes? Or things like Metta World Peace changing his name? Ya know, the kind of inane shit that drives traffic.

BTW, the editor of Sportsgrid wrote the following piece about why SOE failed in the current climate. Basically, he said it didn't have enough T&A.
    http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/jerry-jones-paulina-gretzky-and-why-im-not-surprised-sports-on-earth-was-downsized/

You might not have heard of Sportsgrid, but I think the guy has a decent point about the use of lowbrow stuff. Of course he completely undermined his argument by not reaching out to Leitch for a comment.

5. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

I highly doubt social traffic drives THAT many pageviews, or enough to make a huge difference anyway. It's part of the pie, I'm sure, along with direct traffic, search referral, partnership deals, etc.

But I would wager SOE's problem is that it isn't driving enough direct traffic and not creating enough loyal brand users.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You have to create that loyalty by hammering them over the head every day with tweets and FB posts etc etc. And by having the RT's. I don't think people are going to automatically remember, "Oh, I have to go check Sports on Earth now" especially when the name was rather tepid to start with.

People remember "Grantland" and in SB Nation's case it's because they hammer you over the head every day.

The numbers add up, create daily loyalty. It's not the end-all be-all but it's important.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

People remember Grantland because it's a must-stop for NBA fans (it's the one thing the site does truly well) and Bill Simmons is behind it.

SBNation has what seems like 1,000 little sites and an underdog/mumblecore mentality.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'd say Grantland also does baseball really well, especially now that Lindbergh is on board. Keri, Lindbergh, Baumann, and (occasionally) Jazayerli is a strong group. But yeah, as a big NBA fan, that's the main reason I go there most days.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I agree with who said SoE took itself way too seriously.
    That might the function of a senior staff.

10. Schottey

Schottey Member

Wholeheartedly disagree. Top sites usually have social numbers near/at/above search numbers. Unless you have a huge gateway (Yahoo!) or a ridiculously popular TV station (ESPN) you better have a social presence, and that's far more about Facebook right now even though Twitter is the more popular medium among sports journos.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Your name suits your post.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Now more than ever,
    I'm glad I'm not on Twitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted