1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Well, it's a personal preference, and both are great. Crane Wife is the better album from a pure musical standpoint, but I just like Colin Meloy's lyrics and writing better on Picaresque. I've always preferred the band's "quieter" moments and Picaresque has some amazing ones. I think that album's highs (Eli, On the Bus Mall) push it over the top.

I'm a sucker for lyrics. And clever, witty wordplay at that, so I always probably weigh that when considering albums more than I probably should. That's why I'm such a Silver Jews fan.

2. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Someone mentioned First Aid kit the other day. This cover of Love Interruption is pretty damn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B_Iyi3u1Pc#t=85

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Haven't listened to all of it yet but Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' released a new album on July 29.

Really good effort again and American Dream Plan B is too damn good.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

All the GQ picks are understandable considering their readership, but Funeral, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Kid A should be on there.

Personally, I'd make a case for Spoon's Kill the Moonlight, Nick Cave &The Bad Seed's Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus and The Black Keys' Rubber Factory.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Great to see Florence get some love here, but to me, Ceremonials was at least as glaring an omission as Funeral (though one can reasonably argue The Suburbs is more fully realized). She hits practically every song, as someone once put it, like the climactic number of a Broadway musical. You haven't lived til you've driven the freeway at night with the windows open and "No Light No Light" or "What the Water Gave Me" at full blast.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I would have guessed that every album from The National would be on your list. :D

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Came to The War on Drugs late, but I'm definitely there now. Lost In The Dream is right there with Atlas by Real Estate as my favorite album of the year, though I probably should get St. Vincent because people with similar musical tastes to mine really like it. Red Eyes is on auto-play right now because that's what I do to a song I like, but I look forward to unwrapping this album in earnest.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'M SAYING THOUGH TROUBLE WILL FIND ME IS THEIR BEST HOMIE.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

She was great at Forecastle as well. And I really like the new album.

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

:D
    I was trying to be objective. My favorite music is not what I consider the greatest music.

Plus, the world would be a dreary place if everyone loved The National as much as I do. Eye contact between people would no longer exist from all the shoegazing.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I just learned that Florence Welch is half-American on her mum's side. Get Klinsi on the case! :)

She's due for some new material. Three years since the last album and two years since her collaboration with Calvin Harris.

Draft saved Draft deleted