1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Club youth sports teams: Why should anybody other than parents GAF?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jul 26, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is insane, especially when you choose two events that draw 20,000+ as your example.

Each of those events is certainly of interest to many more folks, and both are likely on TV as well.

In a bunch of markets -- Houston and Tampa, to give two examples of cities where I've lived -- the NFL preseason game will be given more importance by the local paper as well. If the MLB team is a dog, this will be even more pronounced.

The events folks here are discussing are ones drawing less than 100 "fans", most of whom are direct relatives.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The more apt comparison would be an early-round state playoff game that draws 100 people vs. a regular-season, traditional hometown rivalry game, like a Thanksgiving football game, that draws a huge crowd from both towns.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things, the state playoff game is "more important," but you'll give the rivalry game more coverage 10 times out of 10. If you don't, you're doing it wrong.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Bears open the preseason next Friday night.

It will be the biggest thing going on in Chicago that week, sports-wise, and nothing else will remotely approach it.

4. YankeeFan

Exactly.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2nd and 6 out-patterns on August 8 ... radical!

6. MisterCreosote

Meh. I'd rather watch two sub-.500 baseball teams from different leagues play a late afternoon game pitched by their No. 4 starters.

7. YankeeFan

Me too. But football is king.

And, in Chicago, you have two baseball teams that suck, vs. one football team that is undefeated.

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Common mistake: What interests me, and not the reader, is what goes in the paper.

9. I'm looking at the sports front of my local paper right now, a paper I mentioned back on the first or second page of this thread.

Today's stories:

A retrospective article on a 10U baseball team going to a state all-star tournament (a team that got gamer coverage earlier in the week).

A retrospective article with one source (a coach) about finishing 33rd in a North "World Series" softball tournament.

A preview of a weekend 12U baseball tourney with one source, a tournament director.

Finally, there's a weekend preview for the local race track, a reoccurring Thursday feature.

We aren't in a "small town". This is a daily with a circulation of at least 17K. I'm a former journalist, so can someone still in the game tell me if I should give a fuck about reading this.

10. MisterCreosote

I think your sarcasm detector is broken. Boundforboston's, too.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I wouldn't cross the street to watch youth softball, and I sure as hell don't want to read about it.

12. YankeeFan

Oops. Sounded like a totally reasonable position to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted