1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Washington Times partners with The Redskins

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Snyder didn't want to spend the money on an in-house operation anymore, I guess. Better to outsource the "house organ" function.

They'll get the EXCLUSIVE!!!! on how wonderful the Jay Gruden/Robert Griffin III collaboration is.

3. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Desperate Times.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The most interesting aspect of this is, is that it's the Redskins, who are one of the least media friendly teams in professional sports.

I would love to know the financial details of the agreement, because it usually costs a fucking fortune to get a toned-down version of this. This seems well beyond merely being a corporate partner.

5. RecoveringJournalist

I also can't help but wonder how much of this is a "fuck you" to the WP.

6. It's just sports. Let's save our outrage until the Times forms an official partnership with the RNC.

All I can say to this I'm sure the Redskins are fine with a business partner offering critical coverage.

7. VJ

VJ Member

Journalism would have been better off if they didn't re-boot the sports section after all

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Isn't this awesome!

An inevitable step, thanks to the toy department mentality.

I can't wait for all the folks who defended the LeBron first person essay to criticize this. And, someone will surely come along and say it doesn't count as a strike against journalism because the Washington Times isn't in the mainstream of journalism.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How many sports reporters are left at the Times? Can't be many. Two, including the terrible columnist?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And I'm sure the WP will respond by laying bare all of the franchise's troubles and paranoia, as it has done in years past. When Snyder picks a fight like that, he loses.

11. RecoveringJournalist

Right. It's highly doubtful that the Times will get anything out of this relationship that would make anyone read its coverage over the WP.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Full-fledged marketing partnerships with the subjects you're supposed to "cover" are not journalism.

Neither is tearing down the wall between advertising and editorial.

Neither is ghost-writing a first-person essay about a player's free-agent decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted