1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT LeBron sports front

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hey Diaz!, Jul 12, 2014.

1. VJ

VJ Member

And meanwhile, here's four times the World Cup coverage any US paper is giving. But LOLZ AT LEBRON AND ESPN

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The World Cup is overrated.

:D :D :D

3. VJ

VJ Member

Of course not, just find it funny to be making a statement about media coverage while you're devoting entire pages to how far from goal the German keeper ranges.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Writers writing for writers and designers designing for designers.
    No wonder this business can no longer connect with regular people.
    It would be interesting to see a poll of the NYT's subscribers, on that front.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Noticed SI's cover this week displays a James 23 jersey, while the Plain Dealer's artistic wrap cover had him wearing No. 6.

I'm not up on Cleveland's latest styles or throwbacks, it looks like the one SI chose is the style before the redesign when Lebron left, so maybe the 'old' number is part of their point...But has Lebron said which number he plans to wear there this time, and is choosing one or the other for a cover more "accurate" then another?

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Get your Twitter vote in now. I don't think either is more "accurate." One group expects him to keep his number from Miami while the other expects him to wear the same number he had in Cleveland. A toss-up really, and no one knows either way at this point..

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Wasn't the Sports Illustrated cover a file photo?

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Yes, SI specified that it was a shot of a game worn authentic jersey from his last season with the Cavs.

My question isn't so much as to the accuracy of the SI cover, but if you were the editor/designer, which number do you decide to use? If its my page I'm really not sure which one I would go with. There are pros/cons to both.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a wrong answer. There are valid reasons for using either one at this point. I'd personally like to see him stick with 6 and make it his own instead of 23, which belongs to a guy named Jordan. And I would also likely use the No. 6, since that is the number he wore the last four years.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Your choices are:

1. Heat photo (no way)
    2. Non-jersey photo (probably not)
    3. Photoshopped jersey (definitely not)
    4. Illustration
    5. File photo

Either of those choices is fine. Sports Illustrated, though, almost never goes with illustrations on the cover.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No. 6 belongs to Bill Russell.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. And Dr. J wore it too. But the only number I immediately associate with a player in the NBA is Jordan's. Many other numbers were worn by more than one star (33, with Bird, Kareem comes immediately to mind.)

Draft saved Draft deleted