1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT LeBron sports front

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hey Diaz!, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're dogging PICASSO.

Right.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I dog all pieces of shit. I'm an equal-opportunity dogger.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

LOL at Picasso.

That reminds me of a Cezanne exhibit in Philadelphia a few years ago, where they also had on display the works of modern artists who were "inspired" by Cezanne. Those included some of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever seen, including this gem:

[​IMG]

Which, supposedly, was "inspired" by this:

[​IMG]

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I like that Picasso painting quite a bit.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When I worked for REFCO, the companies extensive art collection was displayed throughout our New York (and Chicago) office(s).

This one hing over the men's room:

[​IMG]

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It was weak, lazy and uninformative on Saturday and remains so today.

It was an ejaculation for the next SND conference.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. VJ

VJ Member

Doubtful since most SND members were ripping it as well. The praise actually seems to be coming from designers who don't work at newspapers and bloggers.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Is it the boobies?

But she's clearly a minus 6 but some here would.

10. Just need a LeBron "Decision" every day to save the industry. As for the NYT, it was not the cover, unless the sports section is now A1, so any argument that a sports cover drives sales is hogwash.

11. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Is there really a need for this much consternation?

I wouldn't look to the NY Times specifcally for LeBron coverage. There are many better options for this particular story. They took a chance with one section on one day where everyone - even the vaunted World Wide Leader - got slaughtered on this story. So they played it differently than most. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

If you liked the cover, great. If not, it's only one newspaper section cover. There will be another tomorrow, and the next day, etc., at least until the cost of printing finally can no longer justify this particular delivery method and newspapers go all digital.

Don't make the mistake of somehow assuming that the (quite excellent) graphics guy at the NY Times somehow cannot understand the many intricacies and nuances of the complex world of daily newspaper sports journalism.

This particular gentleman did a lot of good work around the recent World Cup, for instance.

12. VJ

VJ Member

Not making any assumptions, simply pointing out the rationale behind was all the coverage LeBron was getting leading up to his decision and it comes off as patronizing from someone outside the sports department. Comparing the best NBA player on the planet to a wedding between a rapper and a reality TV star with a sex tape seems absurd.

Draft saved Draft deleted