1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Lebron going back to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 9, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, how many times have they mockingly played LeBron's "Not one, not two, not three ..." performance during the past four years? Hundreds. I was surprised LeBron said that, but I'd be much more shocked if Blatt said it publicly.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

They're not going to break up the Cavs after next season, take four years, then reform them with a nearly all-new roster and try it again.

Apples and oranges.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If only we knew someone high on the food chain at SI ...

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Maybe he realizes Cleveland teams don't win championships. Plenty of history available on that.

Klinsmann was telling the truth, although I wonder if he accomplished anything by saying that, other than maybe making an elimination round performance look respectable.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm always leery of trying to make sports bigger than they are in thelarger context, but it was a day I could put cynicism aside. As an Ohioan, the letter was -- surprisingly for me -- emotional to read. Not because I believeLeBron James is going to turn things around. Not because I even necessarily believe he's going to win a title in Cleveland.

When's the last time anyone who isn't trying to win elected office said anything encouraging, hopeful about this place? When is the last time anyone talked about doing the hard work of changing things? Even if it's just a pipedream, I cannot be cynical about the way LeBron James spoke about wanting to inspire kid orspeaks to values that -- maybe ignorantly and stupidly or maybe not-- we believe to be somewhat unique to this part of the country. Dealing with insurmountable obstacles, destined to fail and yet still trying.

It makes most people groan. That's understandable I guess. But today it didn't seem trite. A guywho could work anywhere on earth for an almost unlimited amount of money stood up and said he was proud to be from here. Proud of what this place is and what it might become.

I hope a lot of kids read or hear that letter. It's everything we ever wanted our greatest athlete to be: forgiving, gracious, proud, realistic, understanding of multiple perspectives and yet still unbending in his convictions and his past decisions. I never thought we'd ever see our country's greatest athlete produce anything even approaching that letter.

Tomorrow maybe I'll roll my eyes. Not today, though.

6. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

This is bound to be polarizing. The New York Times' sports front for Saturday...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Rumour in Toronto is that he'll end up there.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That can't be real.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Perhaps not, but he was a Raptors fan growing up and two of his best friends are already playing there in Greivis Vasquez and Landry Fields.

Vasquez, who just signed a new contract, has been quite vocal in his desire to lure KD north.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Heat just signed Tebow.
    Four years, $300 million.

Can't find the link, dammit.
    It was here a minute ago.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I was referring to the NYT front.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Isn't Lohan a lesbian?

Draft saved Draft deleted