1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Knicks and their self-image

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, but the Leafs last Stanley Cup came before a lot of us were born, at a time when there were only six teams in the league. So it's something out of the history books.

If you take the last 30-40 years, it's been overinflated ticket prices, a delusional fan base, marginal ownership/management and coaching and media hype.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's seven major professional franchises in New York, counting the Jets and Giants but not the Nets and Devils. Since 1984, when the last glory runs for the Yankees and Islanders ended, they've won 11 championships. Nine of those belong to the Yankees and Giants. Those two have more than held up their end. The rest of them, not so much.
    Just saying, when you take into account the number of New York teams and the number of cumulative seasons, and look at the big picture, it's not too impressive. A heaping stack of mediocrity.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was just busting your balls for cherry picking out four championships from the Islanders and two from the Knicks to say New York has only two championships. It's kind of like saying, if you cut out the Yankees two championships in the '70s and four by the late '90s dynasty, they've only won one World Series in the last 50 years!

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Gotcha. I started to count from 1970, since the thread started about the Knicks and that's when they last won. Then I realized New York team did win a few that first decade but practically none since the Islanders' run ended, so I moved the goalposts a bit. It's a message board. I can do that :D

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Touche. :D

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

then it escaped you, whizzed right over your head, a fly-by... no way was frank being anything other than his n.y.-sarcastic best (or worst). trust me, he's chagrined if other listeners missed it as well.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm not an idiot, I can detect sarcasm with the best of them. If someone else actually heard it, let me know.

I know how ridiculous it looks reading it.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

didn't hear it, but have heard him before. do a search on his columns. you won't find many praising Dolan and/or the Knicks. Raissman (daily news sports media writer) last week wrote that Dolan gave Mikey Fatcessa an interview (with a knicks or rangers official, forget who) before he talked to ESPN because Isola goes on ESPN and usually pisses on the Knicks and Dolan.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

I did not intend to imply you're an 'idiot.' I apologize is it came off that way. I did not hear frank's radio interview so perhaps his voice didn't properly convey the sarcasm.

but to get back on point if you charge the n.y. media with being soft you're list should be quite long before you'd get to frank's name,,,,

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, he and Brian Windhorst had a little contretemps right about the last time LeBron was a free agent.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No, I wasn't implying you said that. Its all good.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Looks like Frank has an account on SportsJournalists.com:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/members/12299/

He hasn't posted under it in a while, but maybe he lurks/posts under another name and will come along to straighten this all out.

Draft saved Draft deleted