1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Wimbledon thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Never seen Kvitova play as well as she did today. She just gave Bouchard no chance. If she played like that regularly, she'd be No. 1 in the world.

She's certainly got the game. Maybe she'll become a fixture at Slams. What we've seen the past few years is a player wins a Slam and then they lose first week in the next Slam. So no real consistency at the top and no real rivalries. Maybe that will change.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You can say this says more about me than it does about the state of tennisand its popularity -- and it probably does -- but I had never heard of either of the two women's finalists until seeing the ESPN highlights just now.

I once followed tennis to the point that I listened to a US Open final on the radio while driving back to college.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

And then he just continues to drone on about nothing else in particular.

"Never seen the sun rise in the east before. If it did that regularly, it might start a trend."

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm pulling hard for Federer to get his 8th Wimbledon and break the tie with Sampras.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Apparently Rog still has something left. Down two sets to one and 5-2 in the fourth, he reels off five consecutive games to win the set at 7-5 and force Djoker to go the distance.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Great match. Anyone who missed it, or wants to see it again, ABC airs a replay at 3 pm ET.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agassi was like the Kurt Warner of tennis. Really great early on, slumped and sucked for a few years, then rallied to make everyone forget the bad times with a great finish and he more or less went out on top (or at least when he was still competitive).

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Agassi "got distracted" for a few months in 1997 and 1998, but that's really it.

His high ranking in each year from 1988 goes like this: 3-3-4-4-6-7-2-1-1-8-4-1-1-2-2-1-4-5-7.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's it? Felt like it was a four- or five-year gap between when he was first contending at Grand Slams, and then his late resurgence.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It was four of five years worth of hair.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He had spells of petulence (dissing Wimbledon, tanking matches, going into the abyss for several months beginning in late 1997) but never had a complete year where he was not a Top 10 player.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I thought he was unseeded when he won Wimbledon.

Well his "high" ranking for a year fails to show how far he had dropped off the rankings at one point.

Draft saved Draft deleted